Most robust way to automate alarm
1 1

45 posts in this topic

I just got the email saying professional monitoring is available in my area but before I take them up on that I want to see if I can get the alarm automated. To be honest it seems the alarm is only on while we are sleeping and I don't need professional monitoring then. But it would be nice to know the alarm is on whenever we leave. So I started looking at some of the options and it seems the most straight forward would be to buy a few key fobs. The problem is they get terrible reviews...actually it seems many of the new devices do due to bad battery contacts. So I am concerned if the battery drops the system will arm and my family will end up setting the alarm off when they try to leave. Also from searching this out I see that the key fobs take about 8-10 minutes of no activity to set the alarm, this is fine when we are leaving but I didn't see a mention of how quickly they reconnect and then disable the alarm. Again I am concerned that the family will inadvertantly trip the alarm. So the other thing I thought of was the Iris+ app which I think would allow me to use a geo fence but I have two concerns; first I believe the creator of this app has pulled out of Iris so future updates are going to be non existent and I am not sure if it can be set up to recognize only to alarm when all device are out of the geo-fence. 

So can anyone comment on how they have this configured and how successful they have been? 

First, you are spot on with the fobs. I had mine 2 weeks and the battery contact broke off inside and rendered it useless. Also, my wife threw hers in her purse, it inadvertently pushed the key that ran a scene that armed full away, and our dog quickly tripped a motion sensor and in came the call. We have monitoring and it works, but I have set it to basically only trigger if the alarm is set and one of the external doors are opened. The false alarms from motion sensors and cameras were too frequent and I got tired of sweating an undue visit from emergency responders should I not be able to answer my phone and call them off via the iris rep.

That said, you can automate it with the fob and it is pretty responsive for leaving/reconnecting. You can also automate via scene triggered by time. If everyone is out of the house by 8 am, run a scene to arm the house. Or, you could go through the horrors of opening your app and arming the sys, or worse yet, put a button by the door that you press and it arms with a grace period to get out the door.

I don't have the geo fence iris+ so I can't speak to that.

All that to say, I admit I am nervous that Iris is removing all revenue generation from premium and banking on it coming in from monitoring. I pay for it in the hopes that they can stay alive and with the homeowners discount on my insurance, it is basically free anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well if they made better hardware; making the rules and scenes free would make more people buy devices. I am sure I am not the only one of the users that has been waiting to buy new devices wondering what will happen. Since the Gen 2 devices can move to other platforms it is a zero risk move for me. So this could boost their revenue and eventually get me to sign up for monitoring further boosting revenue. But I just don't have faith in getting this automated. Thanks for the suggestion on the time based approach but my wife is a stay at home mom...so the schedule is not regular at all. I thought about the button by the door but that doesn't disable the alarm when she comes back and I know I will get lots of false alarms. I really need this to be something that happens automatic.

I use V1 fobs and have not had an issue with them. From all the comments I've seen on the V2 fobs, I wouldn't trust them.
We set one button to run the "home" scene (unlocks the door, turns some lights on, and disarms the alarm) and one to run the away scene (basically the inverse of the home scene). I use the presence detection as a backup in the event someone forgets to set the alarm or forgets to lock the doors. The 2 minute cycle to detect that we are home is often quick enough that we don't have to hit the button.

We also use V1 keypads beside the doors. I use these to disarm the alarm (which is in partial) in the mornings before letting the dog out, or any other time we are in the home with the alarm on partial and I want to turn it off and open a door.
I have the presence rules set on a schedule, so it can't automatically unlock the door in the middle of the night if it for some reason thinks we have left and then come back.

You can set it to only run the away scene when the house is "empty". If you have more than one family member home, it is very unlikely that all the fobs would loose signal at the same time long enough for iris to think no one is home and set the alarm. We rarely have a false dropout from a fob. Usually if we do it's because someone left their keys in their pocket and threw their pants in the dirty clothes at the far end of the house and more clothes got piled on top of it... (Not saying I ever do that). We have gotten in a routine of leaving our keys in a common area that gets good signal and it prevents this problem.

Unfortunately, the very robust and well made V1 devices are proprietary to the iris system. Their batteries also seem to last forever...
When you can find V1 devices on ebay they are so cheap I am willing to take the chance that I will have to sell them or throw them away if I ever switch from iris (I have no intentions of doing so).

Many times the v1 fobs can be found listed on ebay as Alertme fobs.  As far as I know (but can not guarantee they will work because I don't know if firmware has ever changed) they work just fine.  They can be had for as low as $10 so it is no big risk to grab some to try out.

Here is an example.  This is the first one with orange trim that I have ever seen but might be worth picking up to see if it will pair:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-new-AlertMe-Smart-Key-Fob-/232142168648?hash=item360cc06248:g:TeUAAOSwcLxYJ9Li&vxp=mtr

Txs...just bought one to try. I will post back here when I get it and let everyone know if it works.

But if there are other suggestions please let me know.

13 hours ago, Wlepse said:

I just got the email saying professional monitoring is available in my area but before I take them up on that I want to see if I can get the alarm automated. To be honest it seems the alarm is only on while we are sleeping and I don't need professional monitoring then. But it would be nice to know the alarm is on whenever we leave. So I started looking at some of the options and it seems the most straight forward would be to buy a few key fobs. The problem is they get terrible reviews...actually it seems many of the new devices do due to bad battery contacts. So I am concerned if the battery drops the system will arm and my family will end up setting the alarm off when they try to leave. Also from searching this out I see that the key fobs take about 8-10 minutes of no activity to set the alarm, this is fine when we are leaving but I didn't see a mention of how quickly they reconnect and then disable the alarm. Again I am concerned that the family will inadvertantly trip the alarm. So the other thing I thought of was the Iris+ app which I think would allow me to use a geo fence but I have two concerns; first I believe the creator of this app has pulled out of Iris so future updates are going to be non existent and I am not sure if it can be set up to recognize only to alarm when all device are out of the geo-fence. 

So can anyone comment on how they have this configured and how successful they have been? 

Having an alarm at night should be the most important time to have it! When I'm away, the worst someone will do is steal stuff or my house will burn down. Someone breaks in while your home, or you have a smoke/CO issue, that's when you want to be alerted and have first responders dispatched quickly. 

I agree the stakes are higher when your home but it seems like daytime burglaries are on the rise. So automating it for this reason alone is important. Also I think many discount how it makes people feel when someone breaks into their home...some people never quite recover. So for me it is vital to arm it when we leave but also to make it seemless so we are less likely to get false alarms.

Well the Alertme fob came and so far I haven't had any luck getting it to pair. I have tried a few dozen times and only once did it somewhat connect saying unsupported device. I uninstalled it and have never gotten that far again. Any ideas or suggestions? I tried leaving the battery out for more than 10s then pressing a side button 8x's to reset but still nothing.

Well the Alertme fob came and so far I haven't had any luck getting it to pair. I have tried a few dozen times and only once did it somewhat connect saying unsupported device. I uninstalled it and have never gotten that far again. Any ideas or suggestions? I tried leaving the battery out for more than 10s then pressing a side button 8x's to reset but still nothing.

The reset button is inside the fob not on the side.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

Not sure what is going on but tried again two more times this morning. Once by selecting Iris gen 1 fob and the last time not selecting anything but verifying the hub light was flashing...still no luck. Not sure why one time it kind of connected. Any other suggestions?

Hopefully I will get a chance to try that tonight, I just need to get the pool pump running before I start getting some funky water. But thanks for the suggestion.

Hub reset didn't work. Still messing with device resets but getting no where. Wonder why one time it sort of connected but now it is just doing nothing.

Listed said new but no way to tell for sure. It came in a box but there were no seals on it so I think this may have been part of a package. Last night I also tried changing the battery to see if that would help but still nothing. Just confused how one time it connected but was not supported and I can't repeat that again. If that connection never happened I would just give up, but that is giving me some hope.

If someone has one of these can you confirm what your board says? At the top mine says 2007 and has a rev of 1-1. I realize this won't confirm firmware but maybe they made a hardware change with the -1 that makes it incompatible?? Oh and I removed the board and confirmed there are no buttons on the bottom.

Weird...I would have expected earlier versions to work but maybe not later but who knows. Frustrating I can't even get it to partially connect anymore.

Well I gave up on the Alertme fob and bought a second gen iris keyfob. DOA out of the box...I even made sure the box looked clean before purchasing. I guess the QC is pretty crappy on these things.