Dumb ceiling fan to smart
2 2

22 posts in this topic

I have a ceiling fan that has no wall mounted switch...lights & power are controlled by pull chains, so the GE in wall fan controls for Iris/Wink etc. are out of the question unless I rewire the room. For now  I've had to use the Hunter Simpleconnect bluetooth module for this fan which is a pain.

I see that Home Depot has a wifi ceiling fan online under Hampton Bay brand, plus they've teased the Wink community for over a year now with a separate wifi Wink fan module for dumb fans. You still can't buy this separate module at Home Depot but you can order it from manufacturer though not as cheap as what Home Depot is supposed to retail  it at. It is meant as repair/replacement for the fan.

ST and Wink users have confirmed it is working for them in converting dumb ceiling fans to smart for those like me that don't have in-wall fan controls.

I am ordering one tomorrow, i.e. module as well as the separate remote. Users say other remotes will work too. Since I have Wink, ST, and Iris I will try it with 1 of the 3 HA platforms.

Have any of you tried it with Iris?

Read about it here:

https://tinyurl.com/y6w3lhsk

mojo2600

I have the same issue and I tried the fan controller with mine, trying to mount it inside the fan. I chickened out because there wasn't that much clearance from the side of the fan and the contacts and I didn't trust zip tying it in and electrical tapping it. I am trying to figure out the best way to do it also. I was going to mount it in the attic above the fan and drop the wires down but figured the attic heat would be too much in the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Accessdenied79 are you saying you tried the GE in-wall fan controller switch or a zwave controller like Terminal mentioned above or the Home Depot/Hampton Bay replacement controller I posted?

The Home Depot/Hampton Bay module and remote model #mr101z that I referenced should fit in the fan canopy covering just fine. As I said I'm  ordering one today...will let you know how it works and how it pairs with either Iris, Wink, or ST.

23 hours ago, mojo2600 said:

I have a ceiling fan that has no wall mounted switch...lights & power are controlled by pull chains, so the GE in wall fan controls for Iris/Wink etc. are out of the question unless I rewire the room. For now  I've had to use the Hunter Simpleconnect bluetooth module for this fan which is a pain.

I see that Home Depot has a wifi ceiling fan online under Hampton Bay brand, plus they've teased the Wink community for over a year now with a separate wifi Wink fan module for dumb fans. You still can't buy this separate module at Home Depot but you can order it from manufacturer though not as cheap as what Home Depot is supposed to retail  it at. It is meant as repair/replacement for the fan.

ST and Wink users have confirmed it is working for them in converting dumb ceiling fans to smart for those like me that don't have in-wall fan controls.

I am ordering one tomorrow, i.e. module as well as the separate remote. Users say other remotes will work too. Since I have Wink, ST, and Iris I will try it with 1 of the 3 HA platforms.

Have any of you tried it with Iris?

Read about it here:

https://tinyurl.com/y6w3lhsk

mojo2600

I'm definitely interested in hearing how this solution works out for you.  We have 3 ceiling fans that I would like to automate, however each is wired with a switch that toggles power to the whole thing and I'd rather not have to rewire or try to fit more switches in the area so this solution would be great if the order process and setup are both fairly easy.  Please let me know your experience.  Thanks.

Accessdenied79 are you saying you tried the GE in-wall fan controller switch or a zwave controller like Terminal mentioned above or the Home Depot/Hampton Bay replacement controller I posted?
The Home Depot/Hampton Bay module and remote model #mr101z that I referenced should fit in the fan canopy covering just fine. As I said I'm  ordering one today...will let you know how it works and how it pairs with either Iris, Wink, or ST.

GE in wall switch. I have a large base around the motor of mine and it would fit, I just don't want to burn the house down. Lol.

Ok, I got the parts ordered..should be here in a week. The price is slightly higher now for the receiver & the optional remote as posted on the ST link above.

Currently the MR101Z Wink Receiver for the fan is: $38.00 instead of $32.00

The optional remote, #TR227A is now $32.00 instead of $25.00

Shipping is flat fee of $15.00.

I ordered both for $85.00. It's worth that to me to ditch the Hunter Bluetooth SimpleConnect and have it compatible with 1 of the 3 HA platforms I have.

Sure it will work on Wink or ST...I'll try it with Iris too and keep you posted.

I'm most interested in how it works with SmartThings or Iris, Did you call to order or is there a website you can order from?  Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

Thanks.

I ordered on phone direct from the fan supplier. These are replacement parts for the 52" Gardinier Fan that is Wink controlled. I called them up at 800-749-3267....push 1 for English...then you get a recording in which lady tells you to have the 12 digit UPC code for your fan..if don't have UPC, she says call back when you do...I didn't have a 12 digit UPC...

stay on line...next a guy says "push 1 for ceiling fans"..you then get a human finally. She asks what fan you have...just tell her you need the Wink receiver and remote & that you don't have  fan...you want parts only...

She knows what you're talking about...she said a LOT of people are ordering these things...guess a lot of ST & Wink users are in same boat I am. Home Depot could sell a ton of these if they'd stock them, especially if they retail them at the $49.00 price point they show online, but never have in stock. LOL

I'll keep you posted.

Ok...here's an update: I got the receiver installed and decided to try Iris first. It paired as an uncertified device as "OSO Technologies"... no surprise to me that it wouldn't work with Iris.

I next tried Smartthings and it works great. Unpaired from ST and next tried Wink. It works fine with Wink too. The handheld remote works fine too but I'll use this with Wink and use Alexa to control it.

Alexa can only control the light portion of it, but I created Wink shortcuts for the fan motor on, off, speeds 1 -4, and "breeze" setting...then use IFTTT to trigger the Wink shortcuts thus Alexa can now control my fan and light both.

This retrofit was much easier than rewiring in-wall switches for my case to control this fan.

Thanks for letting us know how it went, I was on vacation for a while so I just ordered my 2 receivers today, I ordered one remote with the receivers and one wall switch from Home Depot that someone said would also work with it in the hopes that I can use both with one fan as I want two remotes on that one more than a smart device anyway, however I plan to connect them both to SmartThings since they won't work with Iris.

One of my fans was hooked up to a single switch which turned on/off power to both the light and components, last night I got one of the fan modules installed, I removed the switch and just wire nutted the AC in and load wires together to feed the fan constant power and one of my remotes was made to replace a switch so it goes in the box even though it doesn't hook up to any wires.  I paired the fan module to SmartThings and two remotes, the Z-Wave is week on these modules so I couldn't get it to pair the first time and had to move my ST hub to the center of my house, then turn of the circuit breaker for 30 seconds to get the fan module to go back into pairing mode.  It doesn't help the signal strength that I left the antenna inside the metal hood with the electrical wiring but the cord is short and I couldn't find a good place to bring it out and keep it from being too visable, plus the fan was getting heavy after holding it up there to wire it and get the wires out of the way.  I also had to load three DTHs for SmartThings to see it correctly, I did this ahead of time since I knew it wouldn't work without them.  So far it is working great with the remotes, SmartThings, Alexa, and I'm guessing Google however I didn't try that last night.

Glad you got it going Terk. I originally tried it with ST and also had to load the DTH...just wanted to see it work with ST as an experiment. Final was just pairing it with Wink as it was super easy with Wink. This was a problem fan as far as HA is concerned as it wasn't switch controlled...controlled only by pull chains. This J receiver and remote sure made me happy with this fan. I think the company is selling the J receivers like hotcakes now to ST & Wink users as Home Depot has not put this in their stores yet. Glad it worked out for you too.

mojo2600

I have had a switch for a long time trying to figure out the best way to hook it up. I don’t recommend this method at all but in my case it worked. My fan is hardwired with no switch other than the breaker for some stupid reason, who knows. Anywho I have a big fan base and figured out a way to attach it with wire ties and it doesn’t move at all. I added wire out the back and then taped the screws. I have about 1/2” clearance from the switch to the fan motor. I spliced the white wire to the neutral, left the blue wire alone, and cut the black wire to make the line/load. I put the fan together and it paired right up. 5a09ffde3f9d0899e69c4e38452e0179.jpg60371d93c7a55c859075e195a6a5ae2b.jpg

Hi Mojo2600,

Thank you for providing your experience with the Gardinier receiver and remote installation in a non-smart fan.  I have essentially done the same with an old Hunter fan and all seems to work fine with the Wink Hub2 controls through the phone.  However, I am running into an issue with the Gardinier remote, and I thought you might be able to provide some insight if yours worked.  Only the light button on the Gardinier remote works to turn on and off the light; the other buttons do not seem to turn on the motor or modulate the speed of the fan.  The 4 digit codes are correct between the receiver and the remote because I can turn on and off the light.  The wires are connected correctly because I can use the Wink App to control the light and fan speed.  Is it possible that I have a bad Gardinier remote where only the light button works?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Dan 

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 10:54 AM, Terk said:

I'm definitely interested in hearing how this solution works out for you.  We have 3 ceiling fans that I would like to automate, however each is wired with a switch that toggles power to the whole thing and I'd rather not have to rewire or try to fit more switches in the area so this solution would be great if the order process and setup are both fairly easy.  Please let me know your experience.  Thanks.

I have the same situation with 5 fans and would love to enable them all under Iris.

Just a heads up for some of you.  When my house was built, we selected Hunter remote control ceiling fans.  They are designed to be connected to a single wall switch and were wired as such by the electrician.  When I gutted the faulty receiver in one of them, I found the wire stubbed off in the wall box and the ceiling box.  I added a GE switch for light and another for fan, then connected the proper wire from ceiling to the fan motor.

Not saying yours are done like that, just that it may be worth a look.

1 hour ago, rdisom said:

Just a heads up for some of you.  When my house was built, we selected Hunter remote control ceiling fans.  They are designed to be connected to a single wall switch and were wired as such by the electrician.  When I gutted the faulty receiver in one of them, I found the wire stubbed off in the wall box and the ceiling box.  I added a GE switch for light and another for fan, then connected the proper wire from ceiling to the fan motor.

How are you controlling the fan speed with a light switch?  I have the same type of fan and opted not to install the light kit.  However, I did use a GE Fan switch so that I could control the speed.

36 minutes ago, Vettester said:

How are you controlling the fan speed with a light switch?  I have the same type of fan and opted not to install the light kit.  However, I did use a GE Fan switch so that I could control the speed.

Sorry, I should have clarified the switches.  GE on/off switch for the light and GE fan switch for the fan.

I have another room that I used a Wink Relay just to gain Alexa control over the fan and light.  I just set fan to medium with pull chain and turn on/off with the Relay or Alexa.

22 hours ago, rdisom said:

Good point. I had checked for that possibility when we moved in, but no luck. Some one was really thinking forward when they wired those rooms for a fan not knowing if they would be installed or not. Thoughtful electrician or maybe it was specified in the plans.

1 hour ago, sparc said:

Good point. I had checked for that possibility when we moved in, but no luck. Some one was really thinking forward when they wired those rooms for a fan not knowing if they would be installed or not. Thoughtful electrician or maybe it was specified in the plans.

I think it was supposed to be wired that way, but some idiot (me) bought our own electrical fixtures to save some money.  All three of those remote receivers have now failed and have been replaced by GE z-wave fan switches.