Aeotec Range Extender
1 1

12 posts in this topic

A buddy picked one of these for his ST system but lent it to me to test it on Iris. Much to my surprise it paired instantly but did say unrecognized. Since this is just a repeater it might not matter though. It did prompt me to rebuild the mesh network so I am assuming this should be functional for those in need of a repeater. I hope to be able to confirm this tomorrow.

7 minutes ago, Vettester said:

Keep in mind these are Z-wave only range extenders and are not going to help with the issue you are having with your hose controller.

True...thinking this may help if I pull the trigger on the GE appliance relay for the pool pump which will end up being about 180' from the hub. This device claims 400'+ range which I think is considerably more than the Iris units.

8 hours ago, Vettester said:

You would be money ahead to just use an Iris smart plug.  Then you would get the benefit of repeating both Z-wave and zigbee.

But what is the range for those? Since Iris has recommended to me and others to add a couple of these scattered around the house it gave me the impression their range is limited.

1 hour ago, Wlepse said:

But what is the range for those? Since Iris has recommended to me and others to add a couple of these scattered around the house it gave me the impression their range is limited.

Without any obstacles such as walls and furniture, the range between two Z-Wave products is suppose to be 100 meters or 328 feet.  Z-Wave supports up to 4 hops so the total coverage will grow depending on the amount of Z-Wave products in the network.  The maximum range with 4 hops is roughly 600 feet or 200 meters.

According to this article Z-Wave Plus features:

• 50% improvement in battery life
  • 67% improvement in range
  • 250% more bandwidth
  • Three RF channels for improved noise immunity and higher bandwidth
  • New Plug-n-Play Network-wide Inclusion feature
  • Improved self-healing and fault tolerance with Explorer Frame feature
  • Standardized method for Over the Air firmware updates (OTA)
  • Improved product information capture for product certification database

Well not sure if this device really works or not. First I tried a gen 2 plug. I had a lot of trouble rebuilding the X-ray network but eventually got it done. But after all of that I still couldn't get my GE plug in device to function. So I moved the gen 2 plug back to it's original spot and repaired the Aeotec. As mentioned before it shows up as uncertified. I tried to rebuild the network but it never completed, several times it locked up in the 90's. At this point I cycled all the other X-ray stuff and it was working so I decided to test the outlet. Still nothing. So I can't confirm if this thing really works or not, certainly no better than a gen 2 plug.

5 minutes ago, Wlepse said:

Well not sure if this device really works or not. First I tried a gen 2 plug. I had a lot of trouble rebuilding the X-ray network but eventually got it done. But after all of that I still couldn't get my GE plug in device to function. So I moved the gen 2 plug back to it's original spot and repaired the Aeotec. As mentioned before it shows up as uncertified. I tried to rebuild the network but it never completed, several times it locked up in the 90's. At this point I cycled all the other X-ray stuff and it was working so I decided to test the outlet. Still nothing. So I can't confirm if this thing really works or not, certainly no better than a gen 2 plug.

I'm dying to hear about the x ray devices and protocol.