Add Support for Dry Contact Sensors
1 1

2 posts in this topic

Recently Otto mentioned in a thread that Iris supports other devices (some) and I know people have been able to get some non-Iris devices to pair up and be recognized.

Also, in the past members have asked about a interface to old hard-wired systems to Iris and even adapted Iris contact sensors to accomplish this or used other brand contact sensors which are designed to connect an external device to them. Some of those work with Iris, some don't.

So knowing all that I decided to give a dry contact sensor from Aeotec a try which they recently brought out. I ordered one to try and it arrives the other day. The sensor is slightly larger than a Iris V1 window/door contact sensor. It has no internal magnetic switch like a window/door sensor does though. It does have a big battery and two spring-loaded terminals for connecting you external device to it. Aeotec claims up to 6 years of run time on this device which is calculated with 48 activations a day. So when it arrived I followed the instructions and got it to pair to Iris but it comes up as an 'unsupported device' so can't really do much with it. I plan to try it with my SmartThings hub and see how it works there.

programming guide Dry Contact Sensor Gen5.pdf?X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Credential=AKIAJ2JSYZ7O3I4JO6DA%2F20170620%2Fus-east-1%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20170620T002710Z&X-Amz-Expires=300&X-Amz-Signature=8df41d217d79ea774d2f35292f9bcc3a1a4372672b108963b6650e9b43e663fb&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=Host&response-content-type=application%2Fpdf