Can motion sensor be programmed to turn lights on and off?
2 2

12 posts in this topic

I have a Lutron motion sensing wall switch which turns the light in the walk in closet on whenever someone enters the closet and off if it detects no motion after a certain period of time. The problem with this scenario is parts of the closet are blocked from sensor view.  I thought if I bought an IRIS compatible wall switch I could program the IRIS motion sensors in the closet to turn the light on. This would probably work but can it be programmed to turn the light off after no motion is detected for a set period of time? I currently have two IRIS motion sensors in my walk in closet and both cover the entire closet. Also the current setup turns the light on instantly. Would going through the IRIS system cause a significant delay in the light coming on?

FYI - In case someone wonders why I have two motion sensors is I have all my motion sensors covering areas in pairs. The reason for this is I know that upwards of 90% of residential alarm calls are false and one of the most frequent reasons is a motion sensor detecting motion when there is no human present. Therefore I have my system set to only trigger an alarm when two motion sensors are activated. I've never had a false alarm. I did have a false alarm from a motion sensor before implementing this system.

I have several of the GE switches they sell at lowes and they have all worked well for me.  I have two small closets in two spare bedrooms that have lights  and they are set to turn on and off when the door opens and closes.  If you have the motion sensors already then it should work fine.

Thanks for the info. Any recommendations on which IRIS compatible wall switch works best? Today at Lowe's they had a couple of different GE wall switches in with the IRIS stuff.

There are two different protocols these switches use, which are Z-wave and ZigBee. My recommendation on which you should use would be based how many of these you are going to install. If you are only going to have a few of these on your system I would say use the ZigBee switches. They cost more but they are more stable in systems with only a few Z-wave device. If you're planning on adding a bunch of non-battery operated Z-wave devices or Iris smart plugs (which act as repeaters for both protocols) I would recommend saving some money and use the Z-wave switches. Both protocols have the option of on/off or dimmer models.

Just in case someone else who is interested in this topic reads this I thought I would share my results. I bought the GE Smart Switch #45856GE which is a ZigBee device. I chose this one because I read others were having problems with Zwave devices and ZigBee seems to be IRIS's native language. I installed it in the master bedroom walk in closet per the instructions and as soon as I turned the power back on it automatically paired. I created a rule to turn the the switch on when motion is detected. It works like a champ including turning the switch off after no motion is detected for 30 seconds.  

The old standard wall motion detector switch worked well turning the light on slightly faster than IRIS but sometimes when my wife and I were out of the sensors view it would turn off the light while we were still in the closet. So far the IRIS Gen 2 motion sensor detects us even when we barely move and hasn't turned the lights out on us yet.

I haven't had much luck with Zwave devices. My Zwave siren only works when it's within about 8' of the hub. I just tried installing a Zwave garage door controller about 30' away from the hub through three walls and despite being paired it can not communicate with the hub over that distance. A Smart Plug which is a ZigBee device can turn a light in my garage off and on even though it is farther away from the hub than the Zwave garage door controller. 

Hey all,

Rather new to the forum so I figured I'd start here.  Essentially in a situation where I have a 12 year old who is notorious for not turning off lights.  We have a 2 story house so that's a decent amount of lights.  I've been tempted to go down the path of automation but have been hesitant as Iris products aren't cheap. So if something doesn't work I'd have to go back and forth between items to figure out which one does.  Additional issue is, we have a lot of animals (4 dogs, 1 cat) that could potentially set off a motion detector.  I don't want them to turn on for the animals.  Suggestions??

16 hours ago, Vettester said:

Welcome to the forum. 

I don't have have pets so I can't speak to these personally, but a lot of forum members have had success with this type of motion sensor:

Just to throw this out there; I've not had a good experience with that Bosch motion sensor.
It's the only product I have for my iris system that is completely unusable. It constantly detects motion (like every 5 minutes) when there is no motion... to the point I had to remove it because it was filling up my logs and made it impossible to find anything. I have been told by someone here to call iris and request a firmware update that they say fixes that problem, but I've not had the time to do it. From the various posts I've read here, I'm not looking forward to ever calling their support in the future. 

On 12/14/2017 at 10:51 AM, Smitho said:

Just to throw this out there; I've not had a good experience with that Bosch motion sensor.
It's the only product I have for my iris system that is completely unusable. It constantly detects motion (like every 5 minutes) when there is no motion... to the point I had to remove it because it was filling up my logs and made it impossible to find anything. I have been told by someone here to call iris and request a firmware update that they say fixes that problem, but I've not had the time to do it. From the various posts I've read here, I'm not looking forward to ever calling their support in the future. 

Smitho,

I'd try to get that FW updated.  Between two homes with their wired versions for alarm panels, and the older Zigbee ones I currently use for Iris ( ISW-ZPR1-WP13 ), Bosch sensors have been super-dependable for me.  I can't comment on their pet-immune performance but in general I've not had a single false alarm from them.  One of mine is even pointed toward stainless-steel appliances, and an exterior window, a location where my old V1 Iris sensors were having issues with false-trips.

As usual, proper installation applies - 7.5' off ground, away from false-trip sources.

On another note, until I stumbled onto this thread, I didn't even know Bosch had released these newer models.  I'm also having trouble finding these on the Lowes website.  Are you guys finding these in your local Lowes stores?