Sylvania lightify A19 not supported?
2 2

17 posts in this topic

Hi, 

I seem to be having issues with a new batch of Sylvania/Osram lightify A19 bulbs. I've used the same brand before with no problems, have about 10 in my home. Bought 4 more from Amazon recently and they show up as unsupported devices without the ability to turn them on or off or dim. Never had these issues before, even tried resetting the bulbs. Wonder if I'm going to have to buy a lightify gateway now, maybe to update the firmware, just never needed one before. Any help would be appreciated, thanks! 

I haven't purchased any recently, however if the new bulbs are the same model as you previously used, my guess would be that the firmware on the new bulbs is at a higher level (one that Iris doesn't support).  I don't know if you have an option to roll back the firmware on those bulbs to the same version your other bulbs are, even if you had a gateway.  The last time I hooked mine up to the OSRAM gateway to update the firmware (about 9 months ago) it corrected all of my issues with the bulbs so I haven't bothered to remove them from Iris, connect them to the OSRAM gatway, update them, remove them from the gateway, and connect them back to Iris since then.  I would suggest trying the z-wave removal of one and trying it multiple times though as I got on of the GE hinge pin sensors a few months back and had to try connecting it around 15 times to get it to pair correctly as it kept showing up as an unknown device or unsupported device something like that, it still shows up as a Uncertified Device but works fine.

Did you get the new Smart+ versions?  I'm not sure if those are supported by Iris. Sylvania recently changed, or started changing, the branding of their "Lightify" bulbs to "Smart+".

Thanks for the information, I appreciate it. I tried around 10 times pairing and removing the light bulb, will keep trying. It still only came up as an uncertified device and doesn't allow any kind of control over them, frustrating. They should just work under zigbee protocol as a light bulb. I grabbed one of my old bulbs to compare and they have definitely changed, as you can see. These must be the newer version/model, slightly bigger overall. Wish they would work as I only paid around $10 each, pretty decent deal. Here is a comparison of the old and new light bulb. The one on the left is the newer model. It doesn't mention smart+ on packaging or bulb. If I remember correctly, the old box used to say Osram but now it just says Sylvania. The old model number is 73824 and the new one is 74283.

20170703_203539.thumb.jpg.a231aeea4f00e285c4caeb4b27dc1dc5.jpg20170703_204433.thumb.jpg.3ebaa42ffa9fe64ea1767aefc3c3fb22.jpg

I'm also curious if anyone has resolved this issue.

I called IRIS support and they said the Hue bulbs are the only ones for sale that are supported.

I find it hard to believe that there wouldn't be a Z-Wave / Zigbee bulb that works without a bridge.

Anyone have any luck with a Home Depot, Amazon, or any other old stock Lightify or equivalent colored bulb?

10 hours ago, jeff909 said:

I called IRIS support and they said the Hue bulbs are the only ones for sale that are supported.

I find it hard to believe that there wouldn't be a Z-Wave / Zigbee bulb that works without a bridge.

I have Sengled smart bulbs that work without a bridge. Of course, I found them at a local salvage store and am not sure if they are still being produced. I also found a GE Enbrighten bulb discounted at Walmart not too long ago that also works sans bridge. These seem not to be sold anymore either. Not sure if this is helpful, but there you go.

The Sengled bulb is natively supported (recent update); the Enbrighten uses the generic Z-Wave driver (another fairly recent update).

J.

14 hours ago, Braunstein82 said:

I know the osram work without issue. It's the ones with Sylvania on the box. I have read that requires the lightify hub to update the bulb to work. I have gotten one, just haven't tried it yet.

Interesting on the need the hub to update.  I'd like to learn a little more about that,  I'd hate to have to buy a hub just for a tool, but it's good to know it may work.  It looks like the color ones on Amazon are Smart+,  but there's a handful of Osram on Ebay

7 hours ago, JSMills said:

I have Sengled smart bulbs that work without a bridge. Of course, I found them at a local salvage store and am not sure if they are still being produced. I also found a GE Enbrighten bulb discounted at Walmart not too long ago that also works sans bridge. These seem not to be sold anymore either. Not sure if this is helpful, but there you go.

The Sengled bulb is natively supported (recent update); the Enbrighten uses the generic Z-Wave driver (another fairly recent update).

J.

Thanks for the tip on the Sengled bulb.  I hadn't heard of those but you're right,  it's listed as a device on the IRIS app.

Is this the one you're referring to?   Too bad it appears they don't have them in store, but it's not a bad price ($30)   If you're sure it works, I may just order one.   

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sengled-element-color-a19-add-on-smart-led-light-bulb-multicolor/6238505.p?skuId=6238505

Has anyone had any luck with the Hue bulbs?

Support says they need the bridge,  I'm not sure why if the bulb is Zigbee.   Can anyone confirm whether it needs the bridge/Hub?

At best buy they said if you have an echo plus (tall one) that the Hue bulbs can connect to that without the actual Hue bridge/Hub.   I wonder if that would link to IRIS, again without the secondary Hue Bridge.  Any ideas?

These are the ones I have (3 total): https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sengled-element-classic-650-lumen-9w-br30-smart-led-light-bulb-white/6238516.p?skuId=6238516

As far as I can tell, they only have one issue: unlike the GE Enbrighten bulbs, they have no way to turn off at the switch. (GE bulbs--always leave in "on" position; but if it's turned off via z-wave, just turn switch off then on for it to come on; to turn it off, flip off, on, off, and on again).

J.

47 minutes ago, JSMills said:

These are the ones I have (3 total): https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sengled-element-classic-650-lumen-9w-br30-smart-led-light-bulb-white/6238516.p?skuId=6238516

As far as I can tell, they only have one issue: unlike the GE Enbrighten bulbs, they have no way to turn off at the switch. (GE bulbs--always leave in "on" position; but if it's turned off via z-wave, just turn switch off then on for it to come on; to turn it off, flip off, on, off, and on again).

J.

Thanks.  

It looks like the Iris app supports four different sizes/models,  so hopefully the color A19 one works the same.  

I guess there’s different ways to handle connected bulbs but I generally leave the dumb switch always in the ON position and I fix a smart button on the wall adjacent to the old switch and use that moving forward.   I would hope that would work the same with these as welll.  

I was having the same issue. 3 of my bulbs worked 2 do not. Osram and Iris should work together to resolve their firmware mishaps - it looks bad from a marketing point of view and totally not German quality for Osram. It seems the last firmware update is incompatible with Iris. Osram also discontinues their support of their bulbs with Phillips Hue citing they could not continue their belief in the mission of open standards with Hue - it seems political or something Osram could not work out with Phillip Hues. I have another call with Iris Tier 2 support today to see if they can figure out this mishaps. If not I am moving off Iris to Wink or Smarthings or Home Assistant - I am having to many firmware issues with Iris and not a fan they are not committing to add more devices. Only plus is their phone support is helpful. Osram tech support is helpful but only means to communicate is via email.

On 6/26/2018 at 8:29 AM, jeff909 said:

Has anyone had any luck with the Hue bulbs?

Support says they need the bridge,  I'm not sure why if the bulb is Zigbee.   Can anyone confirm whether it needs the bridge/Hub?

At best buy they said if you have an echo plus (tall one) that the Hue bulbs can connect to that without the actual Hue bridge/Hub.   I wonder if that would link to IRIS, again without the secondary Hue Bridge.  Any ideas?

The Hue bulbs and bridge use ZLL which Iris hub does not support.  The Hue bulbs also weakly support ZHA which the Iris hub does.  One annoying limitation is you cannot easily unpair Hue bulbs connected with ZHA.  I’ve also read the bulbs don’t repeat ZHA messages either  

You are much better off using the Hue bridge and building a separate Hue network. You’ll get faster performance and have the ability to use the Hue app.