Envisalink plugin
1 1

15 posts in this topic

I would like an ability to use Envisalink module as an intergration device with my alarm system (DSC, but it also supports Honeywell). 

Currently Vera system has a plugin that allows it to use the Alarm System sensors (door, window, motions, smokes, etc) in home automation - I would like Iris to provide similar functionality.

Since I already have my Fire/Burglar panel setup with every single exterior door and window (wired) + 2-wire smoke/CO sensors and heat rise sensors (attic, garage) - I don't see any reason to purchase and install Iris contacts (which are all exterior contacts and don't pass WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor)).

Even Leviton Omni Pro II can work with 3rd party alarm systems like DSC using the Serial Interface module.

There is a topic on SmartThings forum asking for the same :) And it looks like they actually did it

I would like an ability to use Envisalink module as an intergration device with my alarm system (DSC, but it also supports Honeywell). 

Currently Vera system has a plugin that allows it to use the Alarm System sensors (door, window, motions, smokes, etc) in home automation - I would like Iris to provide similar functionality.

Since I already have my Fire/Burglar panel setup with every single exterior door and window (wired) + 2-wire smoke/CO sensors and heat rise sensors (attic, garage) - I don't see any reason to purchase and install Iris contacts (which are all exterior contacts and don't pass WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor)).

Even Leviton Omni Pro II can work with 3rd party alarm systems like DSC using the Serial Interface module.

There is a topic on SmartThings forum asking for the same :) And it looks like they actually did it

That would be totally amazing.  Have a module interface with the Honeywell ECP / DSC Keybus and have it send zone data wirelessly to a USB dongle connected to the IRIS hub.  Then setup IRIS to interact with the zone information as well as alarm arm/disarm capability.......

By the way, slightly off topic - are you using the Envisalink?  I'm thinking about deploying a DSC PC1864 system at my folk's place and utilizing an Envisalink 3...been hearing good things about it. 

Yep, but only as a backup :)

It's a long story - when I just purchased a house - I called the alarm company and they came out installed the simple PC1616 panel with 1 keypad, 3 doors, 1 motion. I did not know a thing about the security systems back then.

I started doing the research recently (the need to add another keypad and "quote" for like $120 to do that from the monitoring company) and found what an amazing world is it.

Bought a PC-LINK cable from amazon, installed DLS V software and pulled the PC1616 configuration down to my laptop (everything, including the Installer's Code :D). Since my house is completely pre-wired by the builder - I was able just to install another keypad by myself (PK5500 - $45 off eBay) and enroll it to the system, then figured I want all windows too - changed the panel to pc1864 plus two pc5108 modules, that gave me total of 24 hardwired zones for all windows. I also had a System Sensor 2W-B smoke installed by the alarm company (just sits on PGM2) but it was just one and no interface to my other smoke detectors.

Current expansion in progress is: PC5204 power supply + System Sensor COSMOD2W smoke detector interface + COSMO2W Smoke/CO detectors (2 wire), and also System Sensor 5602 heat rise sensors (attic, garage).

Main communication interface with the alarm monitoring company is Uplink EZ4500 GSM communicator module which is a pretty dumb device - it sits on PGM1 output of the DSC panel which is configured as a siren - steady for burglary and pulsed for fire. So alarm monitoring company has no clue what the system status is, which zone tripped, etc.. All they know - burglary or fire.

Addition of Envisalink module adds an sms notification (if my Internet service is up) which includes the zone number that tripped the alarm. Like in case of CO event when I'm not home - what's the purpose of sending a fire team to my house? 

I believe the above configuration gives me the maximum flexibility - I have a central station monitoring, real burglar/fire system AND an ability to make any changes myself, even self-monitor if needed.

If I would be doing everything from scratch now - I would probably think of going Omni Pro II, but the price tag on it kinda cools me down... Honeywell Vista 21ip sounds like a good alternative too, especially with the Tuxedo keypad :) Funny thing with the alarm panels - darn keypads cost 2 times the main board :D :D

That's a very nice setup you have there!  You definitely have all of your bases covered in terms of keeping your property in check.  :)   Do report back when you expand your system with the PC5204 and 2-wire smokes/CO/heat sensors.  That sounds like a really fun project.

My experience is very similar - tinkering with alarm systems piqued my interest in the world of alarms.  My folks has had a system that they've never used until recently.  It's a very old, but simple panel by today's standards - a Vista 10SE with 6 on-board hardwire zones.    Just recently I brought it back to life (had 2 dead zones) and it got more interesting the deeper I explored and troubleshoot the system.

After setting up Vista 20Ps for friends and coworkers, I've decided that it's time for my folks to upgrade.  Their house is also fully pre-wired for an alarm system, and currently only the downstairs doors/windows are covered by a zone.  I intend to get the PC1864 or even the newer HS2064 NEO model with 3 zone expanders and add sensors to the upstairs windows as well.  The trickiest part though, is that I'd like to wire up 3 additional motion detectors at the downstairs level so I'd have to pull and snake wires through the ceiling and walls.

In the end I'd like all 19 windows, 4 doors, 4 motion detectors, and a heat detector to be wired into their own zone.  If I go the PC1864 route I'll install an Envisalink module.  Once that is complete, I'm betting it shouldn't take long before I get the itch to start re-wiring the smoke detectors for the alarm panel.   :P

Sounds interesting, good luck! :)

I personally decided to stay away from Powerseries Neo for now since it's not backwards compatible with the older PC1616/1832/1864 equipment and I've heard it's not gonna work with Envisalink. It's also more wireless oriented too. Going Neo would mean I have to spend money on replacing keypads, wireless motions, etc... And no cheap used equipment off eBay either :D :D

Smokes would be a long project since I have to purchase and replace all 6 of them. I decided to go 2 wire since I already have a 12/3 wire thru all of them and currently it's connected to the breaker on the power distribution panel. I will disconnect it from the panel and just route to the designated alarm box.

System Sensor COSMO2W has been chosen since they do have a 2-wire Smoke/CO combo and CO chamber is user replaceable, good for 7 years. I wouldn't have to replace the whole detector in 7 years, just that small CO detection chamber :) They are also supervised by the COSMOD2W and would sound all at once in case of smoke or CO event. COSMOD2W has 3 output zones and it would work with any alarm panel (even with hacked Iris contacts :D :D).

I'm thinking about adding a contact for the garage door too. Just use it as Delay 2 zone and set a delay at like 2 minutes for it. But... I'm trying too keep myself from getting too paranoid. It's very easy to get a house loaded with all kinds of sensors :D

Do report back when you expand your system with the PC5204 and 2-wire smokes/CO/heat sensors.  That sounds like a really fun project.

Done! :) A few weeks ago actually. I love it!

post-69-0-10572200-1422314278_thumb.jpg

There is the 5204 Aux Power supply, 2 batteries 7Ah each (code requires 24h standby time followed by 4 minutes continuous alarm time on battery alone), EnvisaLink 3 on the left and PC5108 8-zone expander on the right (for future expansion). COSMOD2W is above the DSC cabinet. Small relay is for sounder synchronization - in the event of fire alarm - smoke detectors will sound all together and in this pattern: Siren - pause - Smokes - pause - Siren -... you can't miss that!

Everything is up to the Fire Code now :)

Just saw this post today - That looks awesome!  Great job in getting that up and fully functional - and super-fast too!  I'm curious how you wired up that relay?  Is your system still conforming to Temporal-3 pattern?

I've got all my zones up and running - including a troublesome window which was previously replaced, but the installers didn't mark the location of the old sensor.  Had to use a toner-probe kit to locate the wire, and after locating it, the wire had already crawled back into the wall.....which was a real pain to get it back out. :angry:

I'm also about to start my 2WTA-B/COSMO2W retrofit into the existing smoke system.  Still waiting on a good deal for COSMO2W and COSMOD2W units (have the 2WTA-B smokes).  I have everything else, a PC5204, expander, temporary 4AH battery....

Yeah, conforming to T-3 (guess it was the idea of the relay). It's wired like this: coli to AUX+ and O2 (programmed as "01 - Burg./Fire Siren") of the 5204. NO contact - one side to AUX+ (same wire as for the coil actually) and the other side goes to the COSMOD2W smoke input. Relay is needed since DSC controls the negative terminal but COSMOD2W requires a positive signal to trigger.

So without the relay they just sounds all together - siren (pulsed) and smokes. With the relay - I hear the siren first (2 pulses) and then smokes start to sound timing exactly when siren does not - like that: Siren - pause - Smokes - pause - Siren - pause - Smokes - ....

Upd: think I've missed the idea here. So on T3 - if you want siren to sound in T3 - you'll need to turn bit 8 of 013 On on the panel and then re-program the trigger as "Fire Alarm" so COSMOD2W will sync your detector sounders in T3 as well, but I don't think they will match the siren though, manual says they will sound in T3 as long as the output is held high.

It works great since smokes do sound even if the fire detection was outside of that circuit, for example heat detector in the attic OR somebody pressed "FIRE" button on either keypad OR if I need to - I can install additional wireless smoke where I can't pull a wire and it will make my wired smokes sound :)

BTW, there is a little catch if you have your primary board set to "Normally Closed Contacts" (like me) and not using EOL resistors. Zones on the Expanders/Keypads will always follow the default setting - which means Normally Closed contact, but DSC panel requires all fire zones to have EOL resistors no matter what, so I had to run COSMOD2W interface wire directly to the board, not to expander, those on-board zones you can set to single EOLR in programming :)

Future projects:

1) Using the AlarmServer make Iris change home modes depending on the DSC armed status (via API calls)

2) I've got TL260 off eBay for like $50 - but currently struggling to run an Ethernet cable to where my primary alarm box is, hope I'll pull that off soon. That will give me an ability to quickly get a DLS connection without fiddling with the PC-LINK RS-232 cable.

Good luck with your project too!

for the smoke stuff - I waited till alarmsystemstore had a good coupon :)

Awesome - that's the T3 behavior I was looking for. :)   That tripped me up as well - I wasn't getting T3 initially when I set off my heat/ROR, but re-read the manual and fixed that after toggling that bit in section 013.

You know, I did catch that blurb about SEOL on fire zones. Thankfully I did SEOL for the standard configuration though I'd would've liked to use DEOL since I have many dual-tech motion sensors (it's becoming more of a collection really) that have tamper and some even have anti-mask capabilities.  My biggest annoyance with DSC is the fact that you can't control the EOL configuration for each zone on expanders/keypads...  Maybe that's common for all alarm systems, I don't know....

About that relay - I don't have a working setup of my smokes and PC5204 yet.  I have a V2.0 version of the PC5204 and while poking around DLS, I can apparently select an "Inverted Output" option, though I'm not sure if it is restricted to V2 vs. V1.  Any ideas what that does because it looks really promising for the COSMOD2W and I don't have to use a relay or run Bell output upstairs.  Maybe I'll test it on my bench PC1864 unit to see what the behavior of the Ox ports do when 'Inverted Output' is set.

Oooh, that TL260 looks tempting - programming-over-ethernet would be so much easier, and I don't have to trip my damn tamper switch every time I open the cabinet.

Thanks for the tip on alarmsystemstore - I wasn't sure if they were reputable or not...now I know! :D

Inverted Output means it's normally closed (grounded) and when PGM is activated - it's open. That would basically mean you'll have siren active all the time except when it's actually in alarm (if you program it as 01 and invert 5XX - flag 3) :D :D So there is no way of getting around the relay, but if you are not up to the soldering - you can get it as a board: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002Z8GX92 (cheaper on eBay)

No problem on different wired sensor brands, we should take the best from around the world, right? For example Interlogix makes awesome GBS devices.

I went thru with my TL260 and I love it! What is funny - I never did "download" via DLS 5 - I always program from the keypads, but I like to "upload" into DLS and look at the results. The only problem now - I run out of space in my 1864 can :(:D

As of Iris integration - I had some difficulties with the API not working so I decided to drop Iris all together (will probably leave 2 faucet adapters for now) and move over to this. It works great with the DSC via DSCLink software (runs on my unix box). ISY's programming abilities are truly remarkable, for example - there is my code for the bathroom switch:

If
        From     1:00:00AM
        To       6:00:00AM (same day)

Then
        In Scene 'Hardware / Bathroom light' Set 'Hardware / Bathroom light' 30% (On Level)
        In Scene 'Scenes / Master Bathroom' Set 'Hardware / Bathroom light' 30% (On Level)

Else
        In Scene 'Hardware / Bathroom light' Set 'Hardware / Bathroom light' 100% (On Level)
        In Scene 'Scenes / Master Bathroom' Set 'Hardware / Bathroom light' 100% (On Level)

Set master bathroom lights On Level depending on the time of the day

There is the user guide.

No $10/month fee, no cloud (and no 5 second delay - tap a screen button - light is on in less that a second), everything is done on the local device. No internet connectivity is even needed for it's normal operation... I'll probably write a separate post on it if there is any interest.

There is my 1864 can after TL260 :)
post-69-0-83158100-1424881965_thumb.jpg

xKing I am interested in more info. Looking at it now. I lost my house to a fire on January 22nd and am going to add automation in the rebuild. I have used a lot of things over the years including X-10 and homeseer (software back in the day). This looks pretty solid. 

Jkidd2698, sorry for your loss. It's unfortunate we talking about this in the topic about Burglar/Fire Alarm integration. 

I'll play with ISY for a few week, see how good is it with the existing zwave switches and will put together something :) It also supports X10 but I don't have any of those.

For the new house - definitely pre-wire it for the Security System and Fire Alarm (should be permitted by AHJ), you can install pretty much any hardwire alarm system yourself and have it monitored for fairly reasonable price around $10/month over Internet/phone or $20 for cellular. 

In my house I've figured - the most important things is the ABILITY to CHANGE/ADD wiring :) No matter what you've pre-built - life always brings corrections down the road.

I've actually got a plain ISY994i without anything (just to try it out) and then decided to go with it and ordered a zwave dongle: http://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Z-Wave:_Ordering/Assembly_Instructionswith external zwave antenna and IR port ($5). I like the ability to field upgrade ISY!

The only catch - even you go pure zwave - you still have to purchase a PLM (2413S) or ISY will be in "Safe Mode" without it. I love the INSTEON dimmers though :)

xKing I am interested in more info. Looking at it now. I lost my house to a fire on January 22nd and am going to add automation in the rebuild. I have used a lot of things over the years including X-10 and homeseer (software back in the day). This looks pretty solid. 

Sorry about the fire and loss of your home Jkidd. That's never and easy thing to lose everything, then start all over. Always be thankful that no one lost their life to the fire. They always say you can rebuild. Good luck and Best Wishes.