Suggestions for a WiFi garage door controller?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I just tried installing a IRIS garage door controller. With the help of IRIS tech support I was able to get it to pair but when I returned the hub to my home office it was to far away to communicate. So I'm looking for a non-Zwave solution. I haven't had much luck with Zwave. 

The IRIS tech suggested the Genie WiFi garage door controller which I believe is called Aladdin. Anybody using this as part of their IRIS system? Other suggestions?

One of my garage door openers bit the dust after I had installed an Iris GDO so I replaced it with this one:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Chamberlain-1-25-HP-Whisper-Drive-Belt-Drive-Garage-Door-Opener-with-Built-in-Wifi-and-Battery-Back-Up/50434480

This opener isn't compatible with Iris, but I applied this hack and now I can open it with both the Iris app (Z-wave) and the Chamberlain app which is wifi.

I have 2 of the Iris garage door openers that are a long way from my hub. They are actually in my guest house next door. I have a smart plugs installed between the hub and the GDO and that seems to allow it to stay connected. I did have a lot of issued getting it initially paired, but has worked flawlessly since that time.

I have a smart plug installed between the hub and GDO but it wasn't enough. I wonder if I have a defective smart plug? It works OK as a smart plug but I have the Utilitech Siren which is Zwave and won't work more than 8' from the hub. I placed it less than 2' from the smart plug and the siren still wouldn't work. Moved it back to within 8' of the hub and it works.

The other problem I have is the builder was cheap and there was only one outlet installed in the garage. I have since added a couple more but there are none on the side of the garage that would be between the GDO and the hub. I suppose I could run an extension cord to the other side of the garage to test it but since it doesn't help the Zwave siren I'm not sure it's worth the effort especially since I took it down this morning, unpaired it, and put everything back in the box to return it to Lowe's. 

Also my GDO works fine so I'm not in the market for a new one. However I looked at that since my GDO is a Liftmaster made by Chaimberlain but their stand alone GDO controller doesn't work with the IRIS hub as far as I can tell. Therefore the only thing I have found so far that may work is the Aladdin by Genie which is WiFi so range probably wouldn't be an issue since my WiFi Smart Plug work in the Garage and it is farther away than the GDO.

I was hoping there might be a regular here who has experience with the Aladdin GDO controller since it can be paired with the IRIS hub. 

Look for my posts on the smart plugs and repeating zwave. Long story short the smart plugs have to be paired no more than 10 feet from the hub and left up to 15 minutes to “optimize” the plug then moved to the new location. This is what support told me a while back when I was having the same issue with my dads house that I setup for him. I had to unpair all 12 of his and do this setup because the zwave didn’t pair correctly with the hub but the zigbee worked fine. The zwave repeating wasn’t working until I unpaired them, reset them (hold down the power button as you’re plugging them in until the blue light comes on) then pair them back up. Sounds like you have one so it should be easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I'll try that. Right now it just plugged into a socket with nothing attached so it will be easy. But I have still given up on the IRIS GDO Controller.  Because I have a Liftmaster GDO made by Chamberlain I ended up purchasing their MyQ Universal Smartphone Garage Door Controller. It won't work with IRIS but it does have all the features I wanted which was basically alert me if the garage door is open and allow me to close it from anywhere in the world I have Smartphone coverage. Since it is independent of the IRIS system it will still work even if IRIS goes offline. No more driving off and then wondering whether or not I remembered to close the garage door. I actually did forget about 2 years ago. Fortunately nothing was taken from the garage or the house while we were gone.

As I mentioned in my previous post there is a way to make the Chamberlain GDO work with Iris. Even though I probably use the MyQ app more to control my garage door, having it on Iris gives me the added benefit of utilizing rules and scenes.