Toasty Freezer
1 1

17 posts in this topic

After losing a bunch of food a couple of years ago I put a v1 contact sensor in the basement freezer and set up a rule to notify me when the temperature is over 25 degrees.  Since then, I've been notified a couple of times when the door wasn't properly closed and it started to get warm.  I received a notification today, and assumed one of the kids didn't close the door properly.  Any of you who are concerned about the heat in your mailbox with v1 sensor have nothing to worry about.  My first few sensors, sorted highest temp first: 

Temperature Level

Temperature  Device Name
7365 Freezer Basement
86 Window Spare Bedroom
83 Window Bathroom
82 Window Kitchen

Some issue here. I changed the battery and while the sensor was out the the freezer, it reported 61 degrees I put it back in the freezer thinking it was fixed. The next time I checked the app, over 7000 degrees again. 

I have also had a temp sensor in the freezer save me from a broken freezer when it alerted me the temp was rising and I discovered there was a blockage in the coil. Cleaned it out and the freezer has been running great for over a year since. 

I'd like to be able to monitor the freezer again. 

Since no marketed device "temperature sensor" has been made for the platform the use of these sensors for this application has not been considered by Lowes.

Users thinking outside the box and getting great results from a device not considered for this type of monitoring have been hosed by an update that only considers the primary function of the device only.

Not the great forward thinking of users.

"Not the great forward thinking of users."

So you're saying it's the end-users fault for taking a device they have and using it for something it was not meant to do, even though it does that function very well. And when the functions or features of that device are changed without any warning or interaction with the end-user and that capability is taken away it too bad for the end-user?

Sort of like if the way the camera on your smart phone worked was changed by an update pushed out to you and the change made without your consent or knowledge then that's just too bad for you. Like that right? That's OK with you?

I was guessing that was supposed to read as... "have been hosed by an update that considers the primary function of the device only, not the great forward thinking of users."

1 hour ago, Terk said:

I was guessing that was supposed to read as... "have been hosed by an update that considers the primary function of the device only, not the great forward thinking of users."

Yeah, that's how I read it, too. Sometimes auto-dictation/transcription will pull stuff like that on my phone.

Regarding the use of V1 contact sensors as temperature sensors.  I have found that a battery placed in a 10 degree F environment will report as nearly dead.  That same battery allowed to warm to room temperature of 70 degrees F will report as nearly new.  Therefore I have soldered two wires to my V1 contact sensor battery contacts.  The sensor sits in the freezer, the battery is in a CR2 battery holder outside of the freezer.

12 hours ago, EyeRuss said:

Regarding the use of V1 contact sensors as temperature sensors.  I have found that a battery placed in a 10 degree F environment will report as nearly dead.  That same battery allowed to warm to room temperature of 70 degrees F will report as nearly new. 

Agreed. My kitchen freezer's V1 contact sensor's battery routinely reports battery levels in the teens, and has done so ever since I installed it. It has been working fine though, and has been in place for 273 days. 

3 hours ago, pavalov said:

Agreed. My kitchen freezer's V1 contact sensor's battery routinely reports battery levels in the teens, and has done so ever since I installed it. It has been working fine though, and has been in place for 273 days. 

You mean other than last few weeks.  Mine is basically useless now.

I think my hub just received an update to fix this problem.  My rule to alert me when my freezer gets below 105 deg just went off.  It's now a nice comfortable -4 deg.  

EDIT:  My hub has been up for 2 minutes as of 1:47 PM.

48 minutes ago, JimC said:

I think my hub just received an update to fix this problem.  My rule to alert me when my freezer gets below 105 deg just went off.  It's now a nice comfortable -4 deg.  

EDIT:  My hub has been up for 2 minutes as of 1:47 PM.

What version of firmware do you have now?