Camera issues
1 1

20 posts in this topic

Topic moved to new thread by admin.

I have an extensive network of Iris devices and I am very frustrated with the amount of time I have spent on the phone with support.  I constantly have devices falling off the network.  My most recent issue is all 4 of my cameras decided to stop detecting motion. Was on the phone for several hours with tier 1 and tier 2 support.  Their guess is that the cameras have an issue.  I play the lottery a lot and know the odds of all 4 cameras taking a dump at the same time is not a good bet.  My guess is there is a network issue here.  I read on the forum that others are experiencing the same problem seems like development needs to take a look at this.  And oh yeah, one camera starting recording motion again after a 3 day pause.  This is s nice system when it works but it's not dependable enough for home security.  

2 hours ago, Dakota said:

This is s nice system when it works but it's not dependable enough for home security.  

I disagree, my system has been reliable for a long time.  If you're experiencing connectivity issues, you have underlying problems that are unique to your system and need to be addressed. 

It's great that your system works but mine doesn't and I have spent hours on the phone with support and have invested over $1800 in devices.  So if there is an underlying problem with my system the Iris support staff have not been able to solve it.  By the way, I found numerous posts on the net about similar problems that I'm having. 

Doesn't matter if it's a system issue or specific to my system. Bottom line is support can't explain why my devices fall off line or why all 4 of my cameras stop detecting motion for several days them all somehow fix themselves.  There are other posts on the net of the same problems so it's not isolated to my system.  Maybe you don't have enough devices on your system to get these problems.  I have 16 devices I guess that increases my odds for problems. It also increased the amount of money I have invested into this system. 

46 minutes ago, Dakota said:

Doesn't matter if it's a system issue or specific to my system. Bottom line is support can't explain why my devices fall off line or why all 4 of my cameras stop detecting motion for several days them all somehow fix themselves.  There are other posts on the net of the same problems so it's not isolated to my system.  Maybe you don't have enough devices on your system to get these problems.  I have 16 devices I guess that increases my odds for problems. It also increased the amount of money I have invested into this system. 

There's an admin here "Otto" that has 16 devices in his master bath and Vett has probably close to 16 cameras alone so I don't think it's the number of devices you have causing your problem.  What are the other devices you have that are causing problems and how recent?

1 hour ago, Dakota said:

If your cameras stop detecting motion I would suggest you log into the unofficial web portal and check your camera's advanced settings.

Camera Settings.png

Dakota: Welcome, and sorry you are having problems. To give you some perspective, the two guys who responded above probably have more than 350 devices between them. They've gotten there through trial and error, solved many problems, and have a good deal of wisdom regarding the Iris system.  I'm thankful we've got guys willing to share that.

So, I recommend you give their advice serious consideration because they often have solutions that Customer Service may not have thought of. Hope this forum can give you some assistance, and again, welcome.

I have 2 cameras on my system and they did the same thing a soft reboot fixed it. As for your system dropping devices, it can be as simple as 1 device becoming the "hub" and that device drops off and it shows others dropping off.

On 7/15/2017 at 3:23 PM, Dakota said:

Topic moved to new thread by admin.

I have an extensive network of Iris devices and I am very frustrated with the amount of time I have spent on the phone with support.  I constantly have devices falling off the network.  My most recent issue is all 4 of my cameras decided to stop detecting motion. Was on the phone for several hours with tier 1 and tier 2 support.  Their guess is that the cameras have an issue.  I play the lottery a lot and know the odds of all 4 cameras taking a dump at the same time is not a good bet.  My guess is there is a network issue here.  I read on the forum that others are experiencing the same problem seems like development needs to take a look at this.  And oh yeah, one camera starting recording motion again after a 3 day pause.  This is s nice system when it works but it's not dependable enough for home security.  

Dakota, are your cameras wired or wifi. If wifi a router reboot may clear that issue.

I'm having an issue with all four of my cameras detecting motion as well.  I thought it was a problem with only a couple of cameras, but then realized that the recordings I was getting were based on other types of rules (like when the GDO opens).  None of my cameras are detecting motion.  I've soft and hard rebooted the hub and rebooted the cameras.  I get an odd result looking at the advanced settings on thegillion's portal.  The motion detection mode of operation only shows 'Loading...'  The cameras are a mix of indoor and outdoor, all on WiFi.  Any suggestions?

AdvCam.png

None of the cameras are reporting motion.  Two of my cameras should be recording on motion and are not doing that.  Other than that, they do work properly.  I can record and stream on demand, and other rules like 'record for 60 sec when the garage door opens work perfectly.  The last time I had cameras record on movement was 7/9 at 8:33 PM.  I have 2 in my shop that cover much of the same area.  I have recordings from both cameras at the same time from me walking through the shop.  I did have a bunch of corrupted recordings from after 7/9, but I was using thegillion's site to to to look at them so I didn't see which cameras they were from.  Unfortunately I deleted them before I knew I had a problem with detecting motion.

@JimC I am working on updating the camera settings page. If you want to get a preview of it just go to the camera settings page and do a Ctrl+F5 reload on the page. I think this will help you with getting your cameras to work.

I don't use the motion detection for video, but I am using the cameras as motion detectors for other rules and I have verified that all of my cameras are reporting motion.  All of the devices shown in the screenshot below are cameras.

History.png

I was trying to dig into this a little more over the weekend.  With thegillion's update, I can see 'the motion detection mode of operation' settings correctly now.  I've changed to every option, restarted the cameras and motion is still not showing up in the history (and they are not recording on motion).  

This morning I remembered that about a month ago I added my shop camera motion sensors as alarm devices and required 2 motion sensors for an alarm.  I thought this may have started the problem, so I went into the alarms section to turn them off as active devices, and see motion from yesterday for 1 camera and the other cameras this morning listed there.  I'm seeing several disconnects and reconnects over the past few days.  The motion listed under alarms coincides with the time the cameras are reconnecting.

Note the 'shop' cameras in the graphics are named 'Barn...'  

I have removed the cameras from the alarm list, but I'm not home to do any testing.  I'll update after I get home.  

Screenshot_20170731-113456.png

Screenshot_20170731-113514.png

A ping test will only reveal any problems at the point in time the ping is executed, won't tell you anything about 5 minutes from now or 6 hours from now, so seems to me it's only one piece of the puzzle.

If you could find a pattern in the disconnects (if any) and test at those times, that may tell you something more IF the problem is from some form of interference outside the Iris network running on your Wi-Fi. Could be something external to your home or property, or it could be from something within your property.

9 hours ago, sparc said:

A ping test will only reveal any problems at the point in time the ping is executed, won't tell you anything about 5 minutes from now or 6 hours from now, so seems to me it's only one piece of the puzzle.

A simple ping test is a good starting point for troubleshooting your wireless devices.  You can also have a ping test run for as long as you want.  The results from this type of simple test for an extended period will at least give you an indication of the health of your network and a starting point for further analysis.  There are also a lot of ping applications that will provide a timestamp associated with each individual ping result that can help create patterns of any issues related to time. 

Ping Response.png

I got home last night and started troubleshooting.  I noticed in my history that the garage camera had just detected motion.  I haven't seen any camera show motion in weeks.  So I walked through the areas my other 3 cameras cover and all showed motion.  I also realized that the shutter-like click the camera makes when it sees something hadn't been working either.  The cameras that were supposed to record on motion did so properly.   I haven't done anything since my last post.  I looked at the hub's properties, and there was another update and restart.  It went from 2.1.0.013 to 2.1.0.032.

A few weeks ago, I noted in another thread that almost all my zwave devices went offline for a couple of days.  This would be about the same time my freezer reported over 7000 deg and others were speculating that upgrades were coming as they were seeing odd things happen as well.  

Thanks to all for your input, but I think this problem was caused and fixed by Lowes.