There is hope for homekit support after all!

2 posts in this topic

I was just reading through the iOS 11 features and noticed this:

HOMEKIT

Developers can now experiment with HomeKit without needing to apply for Made for iPhone (MFi) approval from Apple. That means developers can start creating and testing products before bringing them to market and Apple is even permitting experimentation popular custom-fit boards like the Arduino and Raspberry Pi.

HomeKit products also no longer need a hardware authentication chip, which means new and existing product manufacturers will be able to add HomeKit support to devices through a firmware update.

I believe they have finally seen the light! I feel like that crazy requirement for a hardware authentication chip is what has been holding back homekit all this time.
Lift this restriction and I believe you will start to see tons of manufacturers update their products with homekit support!

I think if you ask thegillion real nice - he'll be able to come up with the homebridge plug-in for iris in no time. I'm a home bridge user myself and have my Nest and other home automation systems on HomeKit no problem.