How to add a rule to a motion sensor?
1 1

20 posts in this topic

In another thread I was told I can add rules to any device under the Basic plan. I want to add a rule to a motion sensor but can't figure out where in the phone/tablet app or the desktop app I can do that. 

In the app click on the plus sign in the upper right hand corner of the Dashboard screen and select "Rule".  Select Lights & Switches and then choose Motion Detected, Activate Switch and configure accordingly.

I assume you are trying to turn on a light???

Yes it works with switches but I want to add a rule to a motion sensor. When I try I get the message, "These features require a premium subscription." I can't help but wonder how long it will be before IRIS requires a fee to create rules for any devices including ones that are now free.

What do you want the motion detector to do?  There are really only two rules for a sensor turn on a light or notify you on motion, both of which are available in the free plan..  They never have added a rule to allow you to run a scene.  Maybe they are saving that for the premium service, but I don't think that is available there either, at least it wasn't when I had premium service.  As far as requiring a fee for all rules that is the way it was until a couple months ago.  You could not create any rules without premium service so I doubt they would change back to that any time soon.

5 hours ago, GaryS1964 said:

Yes it works with switches but I want to add a rule to a motion sensor. When I try I get the message, "These features require a premium subscription." I can't help but wonder how long it will be before IRIS requires a fee to create rules for any devices including ones that are now free.

The only rules that requires a premium subscriptions are related to recording video.  If you want to use Iris for video recording you are going to have to pay for their cloud based storage.  Like @Terminal mentioned, they recently moved a lot of functionality from the premium to basic plan so I don't see them going backwards with the service plans.

Vettester - We are obviously not communicating very well. I want to add a rule to a motion sensor. I can not find a way to do this with the free basic plan. Motion sensors are grouped with Cameras in the IRIS app and the IRIS Web Portal. When ever I click on Cameras & Sensors in the IRIS smartphone app it brings up a page that says, "Premium Required - These features require a premium subscription." There is no way to get beyond that page and add a rule. In the IRIS Web Portal I get the message, "Your current service plan does not support Cameras & Sensors rules." Since motion sensors are part of Cameras & Sensors I see no way to add a rule to a motion sensor under the free basic plan.

Since you insist I can add a rule to a motion sensor I would appreciate it if you could provide step by step instructions for either the desktop web portal or the IRIS smartphone app.

All of the rules in Cameras & Sensors are video recording related and do require a subscription to use.  Look through the other rule categories like Lights & Switches or Notifications to see what is available without a subscription plan.

1 hour ago, GaryS1964 said:

Since you insist I can add a rule to a motion sensor I would appreciate it if you could provide step by step instructions for either the desktop web portal or the IRIS smartphone app.

On main screen tap the + sign on top right hand corner

Goto Rule>Lights & Switches

Select Motion detected, Activate switch.

There you go.

Terminal - The rule you described above is on a switch. I have a GE ZigBee switch in my master bedroom closet and I have a rule on that switch that turns on the light in the closet when motion is detected and off again when no motion is detected. However with the free basic plan you can not add a rule to a specific motion sensor. Say I want to open my main garage door and side garage door after the sun goes down to let out all the heat so I put a motion sensor in my garage to alert me when it detects motion in my garage which could mean an intruder has entered. I can't do this with the free basic plan. If I have the alarm set it would trigger an alarm but I want to trigger an alert from only the garage motion sensor even when the alarm is not set.

2 hours ago, GaryS1964 said:

Terminal - The rule you described above is on a switch. I have a GE ZigBee switch in my master bedroom closet and I have a rule on that switch that turns on the light in the closet when motion is detected and off again when no motion is detected. However with the free basic plan you can not add a rule to a specific motion sensor. Say I want to open my main garage door and side garage door after the sun goes down to let out all the heat so I put a motion sensor in my garage to alert me when it detects motion in my garage which could mean an intruder has entered. I can't do this with the free basic plan. If I have the alarm set it would trigger an alarm but I want to trigger an alert from only the garage motion sensor even when the alarm is not set.

You really need to explore the app a little.

7 minutes ago, accessdenied79 said:

Just curious. You aren’t trying to use the motion detector in the camera are you? You do have an external one and that is separate from the camera, right?

I doesn't matter, you can use an Iris camera as a motion sensor for any of the motion detection rules.

7 hours ago, accessdenied79 said:

Just curious. You aren’t trying to use the motion detector in the camera are you? You do have an external one and that is separate from the camera, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't own an IRIS camera. I use Arlo. If IRIS goes down I still have Arlo to alert me to activity inside my house.

50 minutes ago, George Balanchine said:

Can you explain how you're doing this? I currently own Nest Cam and Arlo Pro so it'll be pretty cool if I can do something similar.

Within the Arlo app choose Mode->the camera->the pencil next to Armed->check the Push Notification or Email Alerts check box under Alert to have the Arlo camera notify you on motion when armed.  This is a setting per camera so you'd have to set it on each camera you want to alert you.  Is that is what you were asking about?