IRIS Cameras worth getting?
1 1

17 posts in this topic

I've been an IRIS user for almost 3yrs now and during the upgrade to IRIS 2.0, I started deploying my first 'IRIS Cameras'.   The cameras were generally useful, especially for monitoring the home while on vacation.  I haven't been happy that the storage of the cameras is relatively limited or that I can't just use POE ethernet cables to power them, but they have mostly worked out until this month.

Three Weeks Ago: All cameras drop off network

Two Weeks Ago: I purchased two of the new indoor/outdoor camera's and they both became highly unstable after the hub updated their firmware to the latest release.  Had to return them.

Last Week:  Went on vacation, shortly after the first streaming use, the camera disconnected from the network and had to be power cycled.  Camera was useless until I returned home.

I had 3 of the original outdoor Iris cameras and 1 of the indoor and they worked well but I wasn't happy with the night vision quality or limited field of view so when I had a couple drop off I decided to replace all of mine with Arlo Q Plus cameras.  I have been pretty happy with the Q Plus and the free 7 day storage plan that supports up to 5 cameras.  They have pay plans if you need more than 5 cameras and/or longer retention.

10 hours ago, MattM said:

Three Weeks Ago: All cameras drop off network

[Try cycling the hub if that happens again. I've got a IRIS wireless smart plug that allows me to do that remotely.]

Two Weeks Ago: I purchased two of the new indoor/outdoor camera's and they both became highly unstable after the hub updated their firmware to the latest release.  Had to return them.

[Not sure about what happened there. You might try leaving them connected by ethernet cable for a period of time even after the firmware update says it's complete.]

Last Week:  Went on vacation, shortly after the first streaming use, the camera disconnected from the network and had to be power cycled.  Camera was useless until I returned home.

[I've had that happen a few times -- always seems to be when I'm out of town. It tended to happen to the cameras that are furthest from the router. In my case, it was a likely a network issue, because I had a good bit of packet loss to the most problematic cameras. I've installed an access point nearer the cameras, and purchased a couple of smart plugs to be able to power cycle individual cameras, which usually solves the problem.]

I have a lot of time and money invested into my surveillance system, which includes both Iris and other IP based cameras, and if I had to start over I would definitely take a different approach and go with Dahua 2MP Starlight cameras.

Even though there have been some huge improvements made in the new indoor/outdoor cameras vs the original ones, there are still a lot of things lacking to make these a viable solution for surveillance monitoring.  My two biggest complaints with the Iris cameras would have to be the limited storage space and not being able to configure motion detection to suit the end user’s needs.  You can use a 3rd party software to overcome these limitations, but in my mind we shouldn’t have to.

If all you want to do is look at a live stream of what’s happening now the new indoor/outdoor cameras are OK, but there is so much more that can be done to improve the functionality of the cameras and the app as well for recording video.

On 8/16/2017 at 9:22 PM, Terk said:

I had 3 of the original outdoor Iris cameras and 1 of the indoor and they worked well but I wasn't happy with the night vision quality or limited field of view so when I had a couple drop off I decided to replace all of mine with Arlo Q Plus cameras.  I have been pretty happy with the Q Plus and the free 7 day storage plan that supports up to 5 cameras.  They have pay plans if you need more than 5 cameras and/or longer retention.

There are a lot of negative reviews for the Arlo Q Plus camera with one of the biggest complaints being lag time.  For me, the piece of mind of having 24/7 recording, setting up motion zones to only notify me of people walking in my driveway for example, but still have the camera see out into the street and record a larger field of view (which you can't do with the Arlo or Iris), lead me to go with Blue Iris as a third party app for my recording needs.

I'm looking into the Arlo Q Plus cameras, but it's hard to justify needing another app or software when I've invested so much into IRIS.  Indeed, the new web ui has a nice camera section and for the most part, IRIS cameras have been reliable.  Somethings happened lately though.....perhaps new hub or camera firmware is buggy.  Also looked into the Nest Cam IQ...but Nest is owned by google, and google's business model is training their AI's to sell me more stuff by grabbing as much data as they can anyway possible...so, I'd rather not give google another way to monitor everything I do.

As an update, the indoor cameras that went offline -- nothing wrong with them, it was the hub.  Power cycling hub didn't help as it had batteries, pressing reset button on hub also didn't seem to work, removed the batteries and the AC power did do the trick.  Cameras came back online after hub restart.  Looking at history, apparently on the 14th - there was a restart due to firmware update.  The hub restarted, but not properly....most functions kept working, but not camera. 

2 hours ago, MattM said:

Power cycling hub didn't help as it had batteries, pressing reset button on hub also didn't seem to work, removed the batteries and the AC power did do the trick. 

When I mentioned that I had a wireless smart plug to cycle the hub remotely, I didn't mention that you have to remove the batteries for that to work. Instead of using the internal battery unit, I have a UPS that the hub is plugged into through the smart plug. Since the wireless plug doesn't communicate through the hub, you can still operate it remotely with the hub offline.

On 8/17/2017 at 10:48 PM, Vettester said:

There are a lot of negative reviews for the Arlo Q Plus camera with one of the biggest complaints being lag time.  For me, the piece of mind of having 24/7 recording, setting up motion zones to only notify me of people walking in my driveway for example, but still have the camera see out into the street and record a larger field of view (which you can't do with the Arlo or Iris), lead me to go with Blue Iris as a third party app for my recording needs.

I haven't had lag issues with my 5 Arlo Qs 4 of which are the Q plus and one is the Q.  You can setup zones on the Q or Q plus, and the Q plus has a Micro SD slot for local recording if desired however they will always record to the cloud if accessible, if not then it will record local only if you have the card in.  You can also pay extra per camera if you want 24/7 recording to the cloud so you minimize the chance of missing anything however I have found the event based (motion) recording to be extremely reliable and don't want to pay the extra or have that much impact on my network so I haven't tried that.  I have setup motion zones to minimize false alerts from my cat.

Looks like I spoke too soon about cameras being back to normal -- they are showing up as online and connected with near realtime footage displayed, but no clips are being recorded from rules, and the time/date displayed for the realtime recording is 11 days in the past even though it is showing current events.  Clicking on streaming times out.

6 hours ago, Terk said:

I haven't had lag issues with my 5 Arlo Qs 4 of which are the Q plus and one is the Q.  You can setup zones on the Q or Q plus, and the Q plus has a Micro SD slot for local recording if desired however they will always record to the cloud if accessible, if not then it will record local only if you have the card in.  You can also pay extra per camera if you want 24/7 recording to the cloud so you minimize the chance of missing anything however I have found the event based (motion) recording to be extremely reliable and don't want to pay the extra or have that much impact on my network so I haven't tried that.  Here is an example of the motion zones I have setup to minimize false alerts from my cat.

Regardless of what Arlo is referring to these as they are not true motion detection zones.  Zones are used to detect objects crossing multiple areas to help eliminate false alerts.  Because Arlo uses IR to detect motion and not pixel changes in the image, I'm going to guess that true zoning is not possible with Arlo.

15 minutes ago, MattM said:

Looks like I spoke too soon about cameras being back to normal -- they are showing up as online and connected with near realtime footage displayed, but no clips are being recorded from rules, and the time/date displayed for the realtime recording is 11 days in the past even though it is showing current events.  Clicking on streaming times out.

Try deleting your camera rules and then recreate them.

Recreated rules -- not helping.  4 rules, none of them seem to cause new clips to start.  I see still images on the devices/camera page but can't stream.  I suspect something is wrong with the ability of the cameras to send streams to the iris server.  Hub issue again?  Or firewall?  No idea what would keep them from working....

OK, flipping power on the hub and the cameras again has now restored clip uploads for the indoor cameras.  But, indoor/outdoor camera models not uploading even if rules are repeatedly triggered.