Alexa now supports multi room audio
1 1

9 posts in this topic

You can now create groups (Alexa devices) in Alexa for Multi Room Music.  When you tell Alexa to play music you add the group name to end of the command and every device in the group will play the music and be synchronized.

Settings > Audio Groups > Multi-Room Music.

Very cool!

Edit: One thing thats not cool; Apparently you can't add one device to two different groups.
For instance, if you have a group called "everywhere", with all your devices in it, you can't have any other groups because all your devices are already assigned to a group.
I could see some people wanting groups for "living area", "upstairs", "downstairs", etc... the problem is you can't have any overlap between "zones". Hopefully that will be addressed later.

The odd thing is that they are all up. I've talked to others that have added more to a single group so it's not a limitation issue. Maybe it's time to reboot all of them.

Update... taking my phone offline from my local network resolved this issue.

So I set this up and I wonder if others have this issue.  I have 5 DOTs throughout the house and I set up a everywhere group to use all 5.  It seemed to work fine.  The problem is I have a Bluetooth speaker connected to everyone.   The speakers all power down with no use.  So I started around the house to turn on the speakers figuring as each comes on it will connect and start playing through the speaker, just as it has always done in the single mode..  I tried in two rooms and in both cases as long as I am using group audio the speaker will not connect.

I also stopped the group play and connected one of the speakers and it connected.  I then told Alexa to play and I did not specify a group but it started playing on my everywhere group again and the Bluetooth speaker disconnected.

I read in another forum that Bluetooth speakers were not working for someone users.  I haven't tested mine yet as the Bluetooth speaker disconnected on Friday/Saturday morning at like 2am or something like that when the Echo got an update I think and it didn't reconnect and I haven't manually reconnected it yet either.

I tried it, and wasn't particularly impressed. There was a delay between the units that had the base beat from my main stereo about half a count ahead of my satellite Dots.  It also listed several of my Alexa devices as "Unavailable" because they are attached to my network through an access point, even though that access point is an extension of my main network, and shares the same name.