Old house
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I am new to the forum and to iris. Purchased over the weekend and got home to start install and realized the house has no neutral wires. House was built in 1947. All rooms have ceiling fans with one switch. Living room has ceiling fan with no switch at all. Just pull cords. Kitchen has Florence and living room fan that was mentioned above has led. The rest of the house has old school bulbs. If this was your situation how would you go about getting everything hooked up and going? Would you do ge dimmers that don't require neutral wires? Any help would be appreciated. Was really excited to start this project. Now just blah.....

Actually, some of the dinners require a neutral as well.  My house was built in 1929 so I feel your pain.  I now have a combination of the old dimmer with no neutral and smart bulbs... I also use several plug in modules as well....

I'm not an electrician, but if it was my house I would just use the ground wire for the neutral since they are generally connected together at the service panel anyway.  Typically the neutral is the normal or return wire while the ground is a safety protection from fault conditions, but if you don't have a true earth ground what's the difference?  

I have been reading and some say if you use the ground for the neutral you will be risk of being electrocuted because it will carry current to box and screws that are used for plates.

**Isenburg- what kind of bulbs do use? Any for ceiling fans? 

Bulbs would be you best bet without hiring an electrician to rewire the house which would be very cost prohibitive, although you would want to cover the switches so they don't get turned off as that would cause any devices connected through the bulb to loose its connection as well.  They make plastic covers you can just back out the two cover screws put the cover on and put the screws back in.  You would need to use Alexa, motion rule, routine, or a Smart Button then to turn them on/off.