Garage Security

6 posts in this topic

My Iris garage door opener/closer is buggy and tends to fail from time to time. I have rules set for it to close automatically at bed time. It will send a signal and it will beep and flash as it is supposed to but then will not close. The other night my camera caught a recording of someone running out of my garage (it did not get them going in as it appears they saw the camera and snuck around behind it and slid in. They went through my vehicle and left glove compartment and console lid open which is what tipped me off other than the garage door being open in the morning. Any ideas to remedy this or any hacks to trigger the alarm if someone enters my garage? I thought a motion detector would work but I see that they are only good to a certain temperature and would probably drain the battery in the summer and winter. Is there any way to link the Lowes Iris system to the safety beam in the garage? 

So my solution to this for my house was to set the opener as a device in my security system.  When I arm the system at night, it goes into the "there's a device not participating" beep mode.  This is my indication that the door is still open and I need to close it, rather than using a rule to close it automatically and assuming it did.

Not sure if that will work for you or not.  Do you have a key pad already?

Personally if I had a GDO that was not working correctly I would replace it.  If it is flashing and beeping but not closing the door then it or your Garage opener itself has an issue.

If it were not responding then you may have z-wave signal issues, but it sounds like something else.

I personally use ST for my GDO. If we are home and the garage door is left open then it will send me a notification every 30 minutes telling me it is open.  Iris has a notification but it will only notify you once I believe.

I guess you could do something similar with Iris with a contact sensor.  Schedule a rule to notify you if it is open for 5 minutes.  Then de-activate and re-activate the rule every 10 minutes for an hour or so.

Did you get your garage door opener reset?  What I normally do when I can no longer control the garage door controller via the app I unplug the GDC plug it back in wait a few seconds then press the button on the side and it should beep multiple times then after an hour or so the GDC works again.  As far as a notification the garage door got left open there are a few options you can set a rule for if the GDC reports open for more than an amount of time to send a notification, you could add a NYCE tilt sensor or a contact sensor and use the did a door get left open rule to notify you, I personally use both the GDC rule and a contact sensor since the tilt sensor I had started acting up.  And as far as a motion sensor goes, I use a v2 motion sensor outside under my eaves to turn on the outside lights on motion and it has been out there working perfectly the last year through one of the coldest winters I can remember and a hot summer, however you would need two motion sensors in the garage for it to set off the alarm I think since I think they made it a requirement of 2 sensors when the first trigger was motion, you could use the motion on the camera as one as well.  Also you may want to put a camera inside the garage as it sounds like yours must be outside if they where able to sneak past it.

I'm in upstate NY and have an unheated/uncooled shop that is about 30' x 40'.  At one end is a garage door (with no opener) and the other is sliding barn style doors.  I have a camera inside above each door pointing at the opposite door and two ceiling mounted v1 motion sensors pointing straight down about 12' from each door.  Each camera covers the opposite half of the building well.  I use all 4 devices as alarm triggers and require two motion sensors to trigger an alarm.  Except for when my cameras were flaky a couple of months ago, it has worked really well.  The motion sensors and cameras pick up motion as soon as I step into the building.  I also record for 30 seconds on movement.  The temperature doesn't seem to affect the devices much.  I just changed the battery in one motion sensor after more than a year of service.