Osram bulb experience?

13 posts in this topic

I took advantage of the steep Osram bulb discounts at Lowes, and bought four "Sylvania Lightify by Osram PAR38 1300 Lumens Smart Home Bulbs". One is giving me fits.

It paired first as an unknown device. After resetting it, it paired but went off-line within 36 hours. A power cycle reconnected it for now, which is a pain because it is  a roofline fixture with an unswitched circuit so I have to use the breaker.

Are there others who still have connection problems with the Osram bulbs? What did you do to stabilize your bulbs? Is the Lightify hub necessary to update the firmware?

Yes the hub is required to update the firmware on the bulbs and it sounds like that is the problem. I know when I first got all mine they were horrible turning on by themselves and all that mess. I bought the hub and updated them and they have been solid ever since. Also if you have a SmartThings hub laying around (I have one for a laundry script) they update the bulbs also. I don’t know why Iris isn’t updating the firmware OTA, especially since it will fix so many problems and would reduce calls about them. 

I have two bulbs that I have had for quite some time now and they are pretty solid.  They are currently on smart things, so they have probably been updated.  I never really had any issues with them on Iris either.  The GE links on the other hand, I finally gave up on those, they are all sitting in a drawer, I guess I should try and sell them.

Bulbs are working OK.  I use Iris to control the laundry room lights, based on excess on time, to turn them off.  Wife is upset because the "dumb" wall switch will not turn them back on.  She then turns the switch off and I lose control through Iris.

Looks like she will have to carry around an app to do the laundry. 

Am I missing something?

2 hours ago, KCS58 said:

Bulbs are working OK.  I use Iris to control the laundry room lights, based on excess on time, to turn them off.  Wife is upset because the "dumb" wall switch will not turn them back on.  She then turns the switch off and I lose control through Iris.

Am I missing something?

Dump the bulbs and install a smart switch.  Wife will be much happier and you'll still have control through Iris.

13 hours ago, Vettester said:

Dump the bulbs and install a smart switch.  Wife will be much happier and you'll still have control through Iris.

I agree, the smart switches are much better option. If you could make the bulb go to a "default" state by flipping the switch off then on again that would be awesome! However... at the discount you could get the bulbs at Lowe's recently, you could buy 4 bulbs of almost any type for the price of 1 smart switch.

18 hours ago, KCS58 said:

Am I missing something?

You could also install a motion or contact sensor to turn the bulbs on for X amount of time. I have a contact on our laundry room door  (outside in carport) so the wife opens the door and the light turns on. I also have a motion in there in case she is in there longer than the contact sensor energy timer. Been working great for years. 

I agree that is the way to go, no need for the Osram bulb in that case.  The best use of Osram would be where there is not any type of switch available.  Guess that is why they are on closeout.

On 10/5/2017 at 6:49 PM, accessdenied79 said:

Yes the hub is required to update the firmware on the bulbs and it sounds like that is the problem. I know when I first got all mine they were horrible turning on by themselves and all that mess. I bought the hub and updated them and they have been solid ever since. Also if you have a SmartThings hub laying around (I have one for a laundry script) they update the bulbs also. I don’t know why Iris isn’t updating the firmware OTA, especially since it will fix so many problems and would reduce calls about them. 

I had the same experience, bought the OSRAM hub and updated firmware and they have been solid since, this required removing it from Iris joining the OSRAM hub update the firmware then remove it from the OSRAM hub and move it back to Iris, unfortunately you will need to cycle power a few times to the bulb to do this.

On 10/11/2017 at 11:40 AM, Terk said:

I had the same experience, bought the OSRAM hub and updated firmware and they have been solid since, this required removing it from Iris joining the OSRAM hub update the firmware then remove it from the OSRAM hub and move it back to Iris, unfortunately you will need to cycle power a few times to the bulb to do this.

What I usually do/did is leave the bulb connected in Iris, do a factory reset on the bulb which breaks it's pairing internally, pair it to the OSRAM/Smartthings hub, do the update, remove the bulb from the other hub(s) and the bulb will flash showing it was unpaired.  Then I go back into Iris and go through the steps like I am adding a device, the hub will beep but nothing will show up on the screen, the bulb will flash and it is installed back without having to go back in on Iris and setup all your rules/scenes/etc for that device.

accessdenied's procedure works like a charm -- didn't lose my programming on the bulbs, but I was able to update the software with the OSRAM hub.  One problem: re-pairing one bulb when near the hub caused it to make a direct connection to the zigbee component of the hub. When I moved it far away from the hub to its original location, it started falling off the network because it wasn't going through my zigbee mesh; instead it was still reaching directly for the hub. Tier one confirmed that by looking at my zigbee mesh (which I didn't know they could do. @thegillion, is there a way to view the zigbee mesh like we do the z-wave?). Strangely, the bulb right beside it forged 15 different pathways through the mesh after I re-paired it the same way.

Tier 1's advice was to un-pair the problem bulb, then re-pair it in its installed location. Apparently, there is no other way to rebuild the zigbee mesh?