New to Iris, but not happy
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I bought my hub and two kwikset locks this weekend, and ordered two IRIS motion sensors.  The locks were really difficult to pair, and i finally read some great advice to take the hardware directly to the hub to pair before installing.  Another tip i learned was that you have to unpair and rebuild the zwave as you might have orphan devices.  So far, so good.  Now all of a sudden, one lock has disconnected and i can't get it to go back on the network.  I've already made FIVE calls to Lowes today, when i don't expect to ever even have to make one.  I also had a really tough time with the sensors, which should have been really easy.  I finally got them going, and had to remove them a few times through the app.  but for those that have had Iris for longer than i have, is this common?  should i return this while i still can? feeling very frustrated with iris so far. 

No it isn’t common. Make sure your hub isn’t around anything metal as it will interrupt the signal and make sure you pair new devices within 10 feet of the hub so they pair correctly.  I am in the process of moving and I put my networking gear near the hub and it threw my system all out of wack. I had to move it two shelves up from the equipment to get my disconnected devices connect again. 

Keep in mind that the more Z-wave devices you have on your network the stronger it becomes.  With only two devices on your network you may need to add a smart plug or two to act as repeaters.

What did the Techs at Lowes on your 5 calls say? When speaking of sensors are you talking about motion or contact sensors?

What brand of locks did you buy?

The pairing of new devices within 10 feet of the hub is a must.

How far away did you relocate your hub?

When I switched hubs from gen1 to gen2, my original gen1 door sensor was offline a lot.  I added another new gen1 door sensor and that was stable.  

After some time - both are working solid.   

9 hours ago, Nanker Phelge said:

What did the Techs at Lowes on your 5 calls say? When speaking of sensors are you talking about motion or contact sensors?

What brand of locks did you buy?

From the OP opening sentence...

"I bought my hub and two kwikset locks this weekend, and ordered two IRIS motion sensors"

I can say that the locks can be a pain to get paired and in this case I am not sure you can blame Iris.  I have had my locks on both Iris and Smartthings and they were tricky to get paired on both hubs.  As others mentioned getting the Hub close is key.  In my experience the my two Schlages were a bit trickery than my Kwickset, but once paired they were all pretty solid.  on either Hub.