Iris App Version 2.6.0
1 1

16 posts in this topic

I was hit with a solicitation call from Lowe's asking me to sign up for the professional monitoring. I declined, citing the V1 contact sensors' propensity to alarm during very high winds, even with no visible motion of the sensors or magnets*. However, I did ask a number of questions. I was informed that local processing is implemented in 2.6, which would be a very big thing (if true).  She claimed that the only function that wouldn't now work while IRIS is disconnected would be the notifications, unless the hub was equipped with the cellular modem. The person calling seemed very knowledgeable about IRIS, which I consider unusual for a sales caller. She also appeared to be in a position of some authority with regard to Lowe's development issues, so I strongly pointed out that lack of a hub backup was a real problem for users who have many devices. I also pointed out that the new VeraSecure now has such a feature, and that the V2 IRIS hub apparently has the innate capability, since we were able to upgrade from the V1 hubs without repairing each device. She appeared to understand the significance of this desired function, and said she would advocate it in a development team meeting. 

We can hope.

*The house is on a large lake and 80mph gusts during fronts and thunderstorms are not uncommon. However, only very cold wind (some leaks through the seals) seem to trigger the contact sensor.

I don't think I have ever had a false from a V1 contact sensor. They have been completely reliable for me since I first got my system ~3 years ago.

All the V1 contact sensors I put in service at the very beginning are still going, no failures and the batteries last about a year, even on those in unheated areas like the garage and shed doors.

I haven't either, except for three different ones on two houses exposed to high, cold winds. I have over 60 of them, and only those on external doors facing the wind have falsed, sometimes several times within a minute when the wind was extreme. I had the problem solved by setting the number of required devices to trigger to two, but that option was removed. I am planning to replace a couple of the problem ones with V2 sensors to see if they are subject to the same problem. I will report back on this after testing. As it is, I have to turn off the alarm during high winds, which is not really acceptable to me. I also acquired my first system about over years ago, and this has been a problem since the first high winds. That said, we are talking hurricane speed gusts here - probably not too common for houses not exposed to large, wide open spaces.

I could imagine that in a high wind the vibration could cause a V1 sensor to trigger, since it uses a contact that is pulled closed by a magnet. That extreme vibration could cause that contact to bounce.  .In the V2 sensor this is done electronically so it should not be subject to that issue. 

14 hours ago, hxn said:

I was informed that local processing is implemented in 2.6, which would be a very big thing (if true).  

If this was the case, you would think it would be indicated in the release notes. (This has been a HIGHLY REQUESTED feature).
Strange...

Has anyone tested this yet?

Well, I called Iris support to verify that my hub version was 2.6 (the "firmware version" reported in the app is actually the app version - 2.1.0.055 - go figure). So after verifying 2.6 on my hub, I disconnected the network cable and tried a couple of buttons. No luck. I suppose it might require the new app to activate the feature, but that's some pretty wishful thinking... Sigh. 

I think 2.6 is the new app version, which has been generally released for download. The .055 is the hub firmware, and from what I understand, it is being pushed out to sections of users at a time. It may be next week before you see the hub update. I haven't received mine yet either.

On 10/13/2017 at 11:13 PM, hxn said:

Well, I called Iris support to verify that my hub version was 2.6 (the "firmware version" reported in the app is actually the app version - 2.1.0.055 - go figure). So after verifying 2.6 on my hub, I disconnected the network cable and tried a couple of buttons. No luck. I suppose it might require the new app to activate the feature, but that's some pretty wishful thinking... Sigh. 

Unless something has changed, I seem to remember Lowes saying they planned to start with local processing of security features, so I would imagine if and when this is activated, we won't see it for things like lighting and other automation tasks at first.

On the official iris forum there was an update on the status of offline processing yesterday.
Apparently a lot of our devices have already been updated to handle offline processing but there is still some work to do before they flip the switch and turn it on.

https://community.irisbylowes.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Offline-processing/idi-p/107/page/4#comments

I tested the door lock obstruction feature a few days ago and it didn't seem to do anything.
I partially closed my door and tried to lock the deadbolt. I heard it struggle and then got the red x, but it simply showed up as "unlocked" in iris.
Providing I could get this to work, it would also be nice to be able to set a notification when a door jam has occurred.

It would also be nice at least on a garage door to still be able to try to close it again.  The door already has a bunch of protection features but in and if I'm away and open it to let someone in then go to close it when they leave but it jams (most likely because they wheren't completely out of the garage yet and where interrupting the sensors) it is likely that in a few minutes it will be clear and it would go down if the app would let you try again.

Terk, I think that is the issue, they have to have protection features built in, and one of those I think is that if the door detects an obstruction two times consecutively it must disable remote operation of the door until the door is closed using the physical button, so they can be sure you are physically present.  I don't know if that is a standard they all must adhere to, to get UL certification or something, or just the one I have, but I remember reading something to that effect.  So even if the app allowed you to keep trying to send the command I think it would just keep failing because the opener will not accept any commands other than from the control physically wired to it. If that is the case, then it makes sense to disable the button to let me know that it is not going to work because the opener has locked out remote operation.

Yeah, I'm sure your right, although it is frustrating when you can look through your surveillance camera and see the door wide open and nobody in the way but you cannot shut the door so it has to wait until you can get home or get someone else to stop over to push a button.  Luckily with v2 the GDO has been more stable than on the v1 hub, I just wish I could say the same of my Schlage and Yale locks.