Logitech Harmony Smart Control and Alexa

6 posts in this topic

I use the same hub but the elite remote.  I used Alexa for a short time when they had 2 skills for Harmony.  I have to get the remote for searching the guide anyway, so we pretty much abandoned using Alexa.

It worked well when we did use it.  Great for turning on all equipment to a specific activity, and when shutting everything off to leave the room.

I absolutely love the Harmony lineup and have used their remotes for years. 

I use it pretty much every night to turn on Netflix which turns on the receiver and TV, and sets the appropriate settings on each, then I also use it to turn it all off occasionally.  I use the remote to move around and select things and mos of the time to turn it off as well.  I also have one of my ceiling fans on it via IR but if I ask Alexa to turn that fan or light on when I'm watching TV the Harmony turns off the Entertainment center which I haven't found a great way to avoid with the limited power options they give.

On 10/15/2017 at 5:42 AM, Vettester said:

Is anyone out there using this Harmony Smart Control with Alexa and if so have you had any issues?

I have been using it for some time, long before, and since, Alexa integration.  It is THE most used part of my home automation.  We never use the included remote, or any remote for that matter.  We use Alexa, Phone and Watch Apps in that order.  "Alexa turn on Apple TV!"

Multi-room Harmony?

I have a Logitech Harmony hub in the front room with Ifttt & Alexa and I have a detached studio that I would like another setup of another Harmony hub and Alexa. 

Im not sure if 2 Harmonys will work..... without having a separate Alexa account for each, or if 2 Alexa accounts would work with one Iris hub.... or maybe with google home in the studio so it doesnt cross reference commands with Alexa in the front room????? 

Or adding wireless ir extenders using the one harmony hub....

Anyone have any advice?

On 11/23/2017 at 10:12 PM, tread said:

Multi-room Harmony?

I have a Logitech Harmony hub in the front room with Ifttt & Alexa and I have a detached studio that I would like another setup of another Harmony hub and Alexa. 

Im not sure if 2 Harmonys will work..... without having a separate Alexa account for each, or if 2 Alexa accounts would work with one Iris hub.... or maybe with google home in the studio so it doesnt cross reference commands with Alexa in the front room????? 

Or adding wireless ir extenders using the one harmony hub....

Anyone have any advice?

This should be no problem, as harmony now has a "secondary hub" skill for alexa... (I'm planning to do the same thing soon)
I've been using the smart control for a while and I'm really satisfied with it! I'm hoping to get a refurb harmony ultimate soon for the living room and move the smart control to our bedroom.
We use the alexa integration often just to change the activities or to turn everything off. I also pause, play, and adjust volume occasionally with it when I'm not near the remote, and sometimes I will use commands like "alexa, turn on NBC".
I have some scenes in alexa called "Blu-Ray cinema experience", and "Tivo Cinema Experience" which will change to a specific harmony activity and also launch a lighting scene via iris.
Also, when leaving the house I just say "alexa, turn off everything" which turns off all lights, switches, ceiling fans, etc... (I have EVERYTHING on iris now) as well as shuts down my home theater system.
The integration with alexa isn't going to replace the remote... if you are sitting down in front of the TV you are still going to want to use your remote. However, it is nice to walk in the door and say "alexa, I'm home" and have your lights come on and your preferred harmony activity start (likely TV activity set to a specific channel) while you walk to the kitchen to grab something to drink and walk back to the living room without missing a beat.
One of the reasons I want this for the master bedroom is to set a routine to run at a scheduled time in the morning which will turn on the TV and some lamps to wake us up with some morning programming. Ideally I would eventually get a somfy setup or our blinds to also open them and let in some sunlight in the morning.