IRIS rejects IFTTT
2 2

24 posts in this topic

I was browsing the IRIS Community Forum and came across a couple of posts that would indicate that Lowe's has no intention of ever adding IFTTT integration to IRIS. They apparently want to work directly with third party manufacturers who they want to partner up with. As a result I have personally placed purchasing anymore IRIS products on hold. I have a Ring Video Doorbell and Arlo cameras plus a Chamberlain garage door controller because the IRIS garage door controller wouldn't work probably because it was to far away from the IRIS base. Ring, Arlo and Chamberlain support IFTTT but IRIS does not. Since I use my IRIS mostly for security and my current setup works well for that purpose. As far as other home automation options go I'm looking at solutions other than IRIS. Stringify has some interesting options but I'm still looking.

This isn't anything new, the feature suggestion was rejected over 8 months ago.  However, with the advancements Lowe's has made with Iris in the last year or so, it's no great loss.  If you are really into customizing your home automation experience, there are other ways of doing it besides IFTTT.  All of the Ring Video Doorbell and Arlo camera functionality within IFTTT can completed with Iris and a third party video software and the majority of the MyQ IFTTT functions are now available within Iris.

Security camera systems have the following minimal viable product requirements:

1. It must be Reliable.
  2. It must be able to capture good enough images to potentially ID suspects.
  3. It must be useful for evidence (thus date and time stamps are critical).

So what does this mean in practical terms?
Wired systems with local storage will be the most reliable.  While some maybe able to get wifi cameras to work well enough it requires a significant investment in building and maintaining a quality wifi network, which most people are unwilling to learn and spend the resources to do.  Wifi is also subject to interference (common) and even possible jamming (less common).

Quality cameras are required (1080p+).  The best way to determine if a camera is good is to test it and compare it to others.  Megapixels is only one factor to look at, and does not in itself determine the quality of the image.  That said, your search should avoid 720p and poorer spec'ed cameras, they tend to be the cheaper cameras and provide poorer results.  Test both day time and night time.

Few consumer marketed cameras have date and time stamps.  This is critical if you plan to use your video images for evidence.  Good wired camera in general are either PoE (Power over Ethernet) using cat5e/cat6 cable for digital or coax wire with power wires and BNC connectors for analog based systems.

Arlo / Arlo Pro - why they make poor security cameras: (a lot of this also applies to the Ring cameras)
There are a number of reasons, which apply to many consumer wire free products.  The Arlo / Arlo Pro system fail in 2 of the 3 minimal viable product categories for security cameras, and in the 3rd one does a poor job (ID distance very short, night image poor).

1. Poor resolution and wide FOV make for short ID distances
  2. Poor reliability, cameras will disconnect from base station, base station needs periodic reboots, cloud service failures
  3. Lag with cloud service
  4. Issues with reliability of motion detection
  5. Issues to lag before recording
  6. Poor night vision
  7. No embedded time stamp - thus videos are poor for evidence. ( Arlo, Ring, and Nest fail here )
  8. Difficult to manage multiple clips for downloading from the cloud service.
  9. Lag to access live view
  10. Cameras do not have local storage - thus when disconnected to the base station they are unable to record events.

Note:  The Arlo base station has USB ports which were intended for future options, however reportedly Netgear did not enable local attached storage until the Arlo Pro base station came out.  Arlo Pro 2 improves on the Arlo/Arlo Pro with 1080p resolution, which helps.  However, the system still suffers from numerous faults similar to it's prior versions, and only when the cameras are wired do you see significant functional improvements.  At which point you may want to just install a higher quality PoE system that costs less.

Well, I don't know that Iris meets all your requirements.

While my two cameras have been stable for the past few months I had loads of problems with them for a long time, and I know I was not the only one.

And EVERY Iris video clip I have viewed on my system has NEVER had a date/time stamp on it which as you said is critical if used as evidence, so that's a total fail there.

The videos in Iris are time/date stamped.  I just downloaded and played one to confirm.  "Front porch camera_20171127_143831"

The video was from 11/27/2017 at 2:38 pm.  It is visible in the upper left corner while playing as well as the actual file name.

1 hour ago, rdisom said:

The videos in Iris are time/date stamped.  I just downloaded and played one to confirm.  "Front porch camera_20171127_143831"

The video was from 11/27/2017 at 2:38 pm.  It is visible in the upper left corner while playing as well as the actual file name.

Are you on Android or IOS? I do not see that on my Ipad.

A true timestamp is embedded in the video and updates as the video is played.

IMG_2031.JPG

I didn't mean to sidetrack the OP.  Iris needs to be more open to integrating with third party vendors.  The cameras are a prime example of what can be done with integration  When Iris made it possible to use a third party interface on their cameras it opened up a lot of possibilities.  Currently I am using an Iris camera at my front door to capture video based on a schedule that is controlled through presence of my iPhone.  This is accomplished via geofencing through a third party app.  Besides just recording, it is also setup to send me a text message that includes a still image of who is at the door when I'm not home.

IMG_2032.JPG

One other thing I've done with the camera is to have it ring a my doorbell when someone is walking up to my front door.  I have this scheduled to only occur during specific times so that stray animals can't trigger the doorbell in the middle of the night.  

These are just a few examples of what you can do with third party integration.  Now if Iris would just quit being so closed minded, the possibilities could be endless.

Not a "true time stamp" as in your screen shot, but does indicate the time of the recording start.  It matches up with the time stamp that is indicated on the "clips" page while viewing clips on the web.

Vettester, you're not viewing the Iris camera using the Iris app or web interface correct?

I see that you have the date/time stamp visible in the lower right corner. Is that live or a recording and is that from the camera or overlaid by the software or app you are using?

1 hour ago, Vettester said:

I suspect you are just seeing the file name with a timestamp for when it was created.  If you change the name of the file you downloaded does the "timestamp" stay the same?

I would suspect you are correct.  The file names do match history when the events occurred.  And the event is time stamped on the website.  It seems like it would serve the purpose as a time stamp.  I mean, depending on the circumstances of why you need the video of course.  If you had to download it to supply as evidence, then you may lose the time stamp if you changed the file name.

Back to the original topic though.

I think many other brands have ignored Iris because they don't play with others. All the Iris V1 stuff was not compatible with other hardware thanks to custom firmware that Iris used correct?

So my bet is since Iris chose not to support other brand equipment they reciprocated and don't support Iris for the most part. However, having said that when I go into the SmartThings app and want to add a device all the 2nd Gen Iris stuff is listed so apparently it will work with ST. I've never tried moving any of my Iris devices over to ST, maybe I will do that with a some of my spare contact switches and smart buttons to see if they do connect and work as expected.

I believe that all the Z-Wave Plus (2nd Generation Z-Wave) stuff is supposed to be compatible with other brand equipment, at least from what I read on the Z-Wave Alliance website about a year ago. Does Iris adhere to this or are they still rogue?

55 minutes ago, sparc said:

Vettester, you're not viewing the Iris camera using the Iris app or web interface correct?

I see that you have the date/time stamp visible in the lower right corner. Is that live or a recording and is that from the camera or overlaid by the software or app you are using?

I have a mix of Iris and Dahua cameras and I do not use Iris for anything camera related.  I use a third party software to create the timestamp overlay for my Iris cameras.  The time stamp in the screenshot I posted is live and it not being recorded for my Iris cameras but it is on my Dahuas.  

54 minutes ago, Vettester said:

This wouldn't be allowed as evidence.

Says who?  I have supplied videos from a crappy Night Owl system as evidence on 3 occasions.  Just dumped it on a usb drive and handed it over to an officer.  Video not as good, and just a downloaded file with a funky file name same as Iris.

Pulling a video file from Night Owl is same as downloading from Iris web page.  Search for date and time frame, select file, download to pc & then copy to usb drive.  It has worked 3 times on 3 separate cases.

1 hour ago, rdisom said:

Says who?  I have supplied videos from a crappy Night Owl system as evidence on 3 occasions.  Just dumped it on a usb drive and handed it over to an officer.  Video not as good, and just a downloaded file with a funky file name same as Iris.

Pulling a video file from Night Owl is same as downloading from Iris web page.  Search for date and time frame, select file, download to pc & then copy to usb drive.  It has worked 3 times on 3 separate cases.

I'm not an attorney, but this makes sense to me:

http://homerestored.com/2015/04/22/3-reasons-why-your-security-video-can-be-thrown-out-of-court/