MS-DOS Smart Home Automation
1 1

7 posts in this topic

This is funny. I saw this earlier in the week in a Google news feed.  You should watch this guys other videos where he unpacks and IBM AT that had been sealed in its factory box for over 30 years.

You may laugh, but I have plenty of X-10 modules running all kinds of stuff for the past 30+ years.

I only have appliance switches and lamp dimmer modules but they allow me to control lighting all around the house.

I have hung on to them use them mostly now for controlling lights at Christmas time. Just plug a module in  an outlet in each room and set it to the same ID as the rest of the modules I want to control as a group. Then one push of the button on the remote turns then ON or OFF or let the programmable controller do it for me.

They still work fine so why not use them.

We'll see if all my Iris gear is still going after 30 years. I kind of doubt it though. And the only piece that needs batteries is the remote control, a pair of double As about every other year. My Toshiba T1000 still boots up too. :) 

Needing to replace my X-10/Plug-N-Pow'r equipment is what led me to Iris. My modules and mini-controllers kept burning out, and the commands didn't always work b/c I have a 2-breaker box wiring system (the through-the-wire commands would often not make the leap between the boxes).

One unique feature I really miss, though, was the "Random" setting for the lighting modules. It was used to make your house's lighting less "patterned" so that it looked more lived in when you weren't home.  For instance, if I programmed a light to come on at 7pm and had it on the Random setting, it would vary the time that the light came on by as much as an hour each day.  I wish Iris had such a feature.

I used to use some x-10 stuff in my house. I also had a little set top controller with an IR sensor which I used to control some lights from my harmony remote.  For some reason ants kept crawling up in my walls and shorting two of the switches out.
It was very strange, they weren't attracted to any other switch, and I've not had an issue since replacing it with z-wave either... I think I was on my thrid x-10 switch in my living room before I moved to iris.

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 2:40 AM, pavalov said:

Needing to replace my X-10/Plug-N-Pow'r equipment is what led me to Iris. My modules and mini-controllers kept burning out, and the commands didn't always work b/c I have a 2-breaker box wiring system (the through-the-wire commands would often not make the leap between the boxes).

One unique feature I really miss, though, was the "Random" setting for the lighting modules. It was used to make your house's lighting less "patterned" so that it looked more lived in when you weren't home.  For instance, if I programmed a light to come on at 7pm and had it on the Random setting, it would vary the time that the light came on by as much as an hour each day.  I wish Iris had such a feature.

Yes, this seems like an easy feature to implement. I miss that from my X-10 system also. My work around is to use the sunrise/sunset and offset the time to turn a light on or off. This gives a slight randomness to it but it is no where near a flexible as the random feature on X-10.

X-10 does offer a bridge to pass signal from one phase to another. Every house with 240v power will have two phases. I can't remember that ever being a problem with any of the X-10 modules I have had for 30 years. Some were from Radio Shack but they are re-branded X-10 gear and work seamlessly with any brand of X-10 equipment.

22 hours ago, sparc said:

X-10 does offer a bridge to pass signal from one phase to another. Every house with 240v power will have two phases. I can't remember that ever being a problem with any of the X-10 modules I have had for 30 years. Some were from Radio Shack but they are re-branded X-10 gear and work seamlessly with any brand of X-10 equipment.

Most of my devices were the re-branded Radio Shack ones. I had read about the phase bridge but never implemented it. My device failure rate was just too high to stick with it: remote transmitters, alarm clock/controllers, switches, etc. all seemed to have a relatively short life span for me.