Iris Camera Quality
1 1

27 posts in this topic

Even though I don't I don't live in a high crime area my neighborhood has experienced an ever increasing number of car prowls over the past few years.  In an effort to protect the vehicles I leave parked outside I have been spent a great deal of time and money setting up a multi-camera surveillance system.  I started out with the Iris Gen 1 Outdoor Wireless Video cameras.  This camera left a lot to be desired when it comes to video quality and night vision so when Lowe's released their new Gen 2 Indoor and Outdoor Camera I replaced all of my Gen 1 cameras with the new Gen 2 cameras.  I've been using these cameras for over a year now and even though there is a significant improvement in video quality and night vision they still aren't capable of doing facial recognition under certain conditions.  The screenshot below is one of four prowlers my cameras have captured in the last 6 months, but because of the poor quality I have not been able to get a recognizable face shot.

Prowler.jpg

I recently replaced one of my Iris cameras with a Dahua PTZ and there is a night and day difference in video quality between the two cameras.  The Dahua has auto tracking that zooms in on an object and then follows the object until its out of the camera's field of view.  In my opinion the Dahua camera install looks a lot cleaner than the Iris camera.  The three screenshots below are to show that the cameras are basically located in the same area.

Before    IMG_1983.jpg    IMG_1986.JPG

Fortunately I don't have screen shot of a another prowler to compare the difference in quality, but the image below is from the Dahua camera and the quail is more than twice the distance from the camera than the prowler was in the first screenshot.

Quail.jpg

In reference to the prowler image the quail would be located on the ground next to the sidewalk right behind the prowler's head.

No doubt about it Iris cameras could be a lot better. I have one Gen 1 and one Gen 2, both Indoor/outdoor models. I found them less than adequate for outside coverage too.

So now I use them both inside and a quality 16 camera DVR system covering everything outside with continuous recording and 7 days running backup as well as scheduled remote backups so that I have a months worth of video for every camera I can look at whenever I want and it costs me nothing.

All viewable on any PC in the house or my phone with instant replay and a host of options that would make any Iris camera owner drool, all that for the price of those two Iris cameras (plus my time to install it). 

If Iris would open up to the use of other, better quality cameras they might stand a chance. But with the limited camera support they have now they are really hurting themselves and all their users too. Those that stick around anyway.

Recently our cars were went through at night. Lost some change and a car cell phone charger. The V1 camera missed it all. It seems it only records on motion when headlights pass by.

In V1 it would record animals going through the yard at night, no longer.

I am moving to local recording as I can't get the results from Iris I can trust.

6 hours ago, thegillion said:

I know this may not help the fact but I have updated the portal to have better control over the camera problem is Iris sometimes pushes an update and send everything back to pixel video. 

I appreciate your efforts, but the issue is with the quality of the hardware not the software.

I agree.  There is no comparison between the Iris cameras and other surveillance systems.  Moving off from Iris to Amcrest was one of the best things I've done.  I can't say enough about how much better the quality is and the ability to record sound to a local DVR that retains 4 TB of video quality for roughly 45 days is incredible.   I have now seven cameras recording at 1080P quality.   

On 11/3/2017 at 9:54 PM, Vettester said:

The Dahua has auto tracking that zooms in on an object and then follows the object until its out of the camera's field of view. 

@Vettester,

Would you mind revealing the model number of your Dahua camera with tracking? I see a number of these on Amazon, but I don't find any that specifically mention the tracking feature. Thanks! 

5 hours ago, hxn said:

Would you mind revealing the model number of your Dahua camera with tracking? I see a number of these on Amazon, but I don't find any that specifically mention the tracking feature. Thanks! 

Dahua SD52C225U-HNI Starlight 25x PTZ

Here's a link to an unbiased review of the camera:  https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/dahua-starlight-recessed-dome-ptz-sd52c225u-hni.16616/#post-154225

Another thing that I found out while debugging some iris streaming problems with indoor/outdoor cameras - from what I can tell, the v1 cameras basically just use normal protocols well designed to work with firewalls/other network gear to push clips to the iris servers.  The v2 cameras seem to be using less friendly/well supported UPNP protocols - other than the v2 cameras being somewhat more heavier duty/tough against falls/water damage/etc, there isn't much reason to prefer the v2 indoor/outdoor cameras over the v1 indoor camera. 

1 hour ago, MattM said:

Another thing that I found out while debugging some iris streaming problems with indoor/outdoor cameras - from what I can tell, the v1 cameras basically just use normal protocols well designed to work with firewalls/other network gear to push clips to the iris servers.  The v2 cameras seem to be using less friendly/well supported UPNP protocols - other than the v2 cameras being somewhat more heavier duty/tough against falls/water damage/etc, there isn't much reason to prefer the v2 indoor/outdoor cameras over the v1 indoor camera. 

Hmmm... I disagree.  The v2 cameras have a wider field of view and drastically improved night vision capability.

It is an IP camera that supports PoE.  However, it came with a power supply instead of an injector so I just used that.  This camera does NOT have infrared, but since I leave my outside lights on at night and there is a street light nearby I didn't care.  One thing to note is that without IR you get a full color video instead of black and white.  The image below was taken from the camera at 1:30 am.

.IMG_2001.JPG

I have had this camera up for a few weeks now and I have learned there is a downside to using auto-tracking.  When there are two objects moving in different directions the camera can only follow one object at a time.  You actually lose track of the second object as the auto-tracking continues to follow the first.  So that I don't miss anything I have mounted a fixed Iris camera on the other side of my garage.

The Alibi camera you are looking at is actually a rebranded Hikvision so it should be a decent camera.  The thing I didn't like about this type of design is the size and bulkiness.  They are typically mounted on an arm that extends out from the wall.  The camera I mounted is more like a can light with a much lower profile.  The downside is that I had to cut a 7" diameter hole in my soffit.

Good point on the IR and B&W. Color would be nice. I have a pair of 60W equivalent LED lights on all night but not sure they would be enough without IR.

If I go any brighter they will wash out one of my other cameras unless I put a scrim up to block out the hot spot. At 60w it is tolerable, but any brighter and I would need to do something, probably should now as it may do damage to the camera over time.

Auto-tracking could be a problem as one side of my property is a fairly busy road, even late at night there will be a couple cars an hour go by. So might lose sight of something happening on the property if the camera is tracking a car going by. Can you adjust anything to ignore faster moving objects like cars. The Alibi camera you can mask out areas you don't want to react to or record.

The outside lights I'm using are 60 watt equivalent LEDs so I would say this camera functions extremely well in low light.

There is not anything you can do to ignore faster moving objects, but I have found that auto-tracking works optimally on objects going less than 20 mph.  I have noticed if a car is going to fast the camera will not even try to follow it.  This camera also has the ability to setup customized record areas through IVS that includes abandoned and missing objects.

Even though I don't I don't live in a high crime area my neighborhood has experienced an ever increasing number of car prowls over the past few years.  In an effort to protect the vehicles I leave parked outside I have been spent a great deal of time and money setting up a multi-camera surveillance system.  I started out with the Iris Gen 1 Outdoor Wireless Video cameras.  This camera left a lot to be desired when it comes to video quality and night vision so when Lowe's released their new Gen 2 Indoor and Outdoor Camera I replaced all of my Gen 1 cameras with the new Gen 2 cameras.  I've been using these cameras for over a year now and even though there is a significant improvement in video quality and night vision they still aren't capable of doing facial recognition under certain conditions.  The screenshot below is one of four prowlers my cameras have captured in the last 6 months, but because of the poor quality I have not been able to get a recognizable face shot.
Prowler.jpg.ae19d8d2ddb1472c079774bcc3d6b883.jpg
I recently replaced one of my Iris cameras with a Dahua PTZ and there is a night and day difference in video quality between the two cameras.  The Dahua has auto tracking that zooms in on an object and then follows the object until its out of the camera's field of view.  In my opinion the Dahua camera install looks a lot cleaner than the Iris camera.  The three screenshots below are to show that the cameras are basically located in the same area.
IMG_1982.thumb.JPG.203fb2b52c0054b5405ddf810d60cf9c.JPG    IMG_1983.thumb.jpg.19446f0a5b476e773a10b18d8d435ef7.jpg    IMG_1986.thumb.JPG.998cd8d9026fc4e9361044fb234ff4eb.JPG
Fortunately I don't have screen shot of a another prowler to compare the difference in quality, but the image below is from the Dahua camera and the quail is more than twice the distance from the camera than the prowler was in the first screenshot.
Quail.jpg.a7cf3c4b861ad281289c9def686a5f82.jpg
In reference to the prowler image the quail would be located on the ground next to the sidewalk right behind the prowler's head.

Do the Dahua cams work with Iris?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah these cameras are horrible. We’ve had two breakin on our vehicles and the cameras recorded the scumbags but you could never tell who they were.

my backyard v2 camera failed on me and I went to Lowe’s to buy a new one. There was one left and it was on clearance for $135 

i didn’t buy it because it seems like maybe Lowe’s is going to shit can the Iris System? So many other systems out there. I can’t believe they won’t allow other cameras on the system. I think I’m going to change out the whole system with something else. I’ve been with the Iris since the very beginning, cameras have always been a problem one way or another. 

I bought a Blink camera the other day for $100. The thing runs on two double or Triple A battery’s for TWO YEARS!!! The video quality is great and it has audio! 

Lowe’s needs to do something about the cameras!!!!

The battery life is going to depend on how much the camera records.  If you put it in an area where there is a lot of motion there is no way the batteries will last two years.  Also, unless you are recording 24/7 I can guarantee that you are going to miss something.  This happens because the camera's motion sensing and wifi are not 100% reliable.

Yes Vettester, I understand, I was just trying to make a point that if there’s something out there now like the Blink, Lowe’s should be able to do something better than these current cameras.

as I said before, I’ve had to use the cameras footage twice with police and nether Time was it usable. The camera is only 15 feet away from where the suspect was in both breakin’s. Not much good when the camera can record all day and the film is useless. It was at night but the outdoor lights were on. 

Now I just found out that the Blink Camera works with Echo Show and Spot. I downloaded the Skill and it took about 1 minute to set up. Now I say Alexa show me the front door and it pops right up on the screen. 

Maybe I’m missing something but a big company like Lowe’s should have been working on this a long time ago! These are the things that anger me about the Iris System, they seem to do the bare minimum to keep up with the competition! And there should be new cameras, Period!!!

I have my camera system setup so that when my front door camera is triggered it displays the video feed from the camera to a 65" Sony Bravia Smart TV in my family room for 10 seconds. After 10 seconds the TV goes back to whatever show we were previously watching on the TV.  

In my opinion, if you want quality affordable consumer grade cameras, you should be looking at Dahua or Hikvision.