Iris Camera Quality
1 1

27 posts in this topic

Very cool setup! What did you use to achieve that?

As far as wanting quality affordable cameras; again, just my opinion but shouldn’t we all expect just that very thing for this system we put so much time and money into, not to mention the monthly fee.

I have a Dahua camera mounted by my front door that records 24/7 and have a zone setup in Blue Iris that covers a small area of the sidewalk leading up to my front door. When someone crosses into the zone Blue Iris triggers a batch file runs that runs a python script that simply toggles the HDMI inputs of my Sony Bravia between the TV and the Blue Iris computer for 10 seconds. The Sony Bravia has an API that allows you to control the TV via the windows command prompt. The batch file and python script are running on my Blue Iris computer so this does not require a raspberry pi or any additional hardware. The computer and TV are connected together with an HDMI cable so the video feed to the TV comes from the Blue Iris client running on the computer. 

I also have Blue Iris trigger a doorbell sound that plays through amplified speakers connected to the same computer so that I know someone is there before they even ring my main doorbell.  The downside is this is also triggered by stray cats and dogs that seem to only roam at night. To control the automatic doorbell sound at night I have a small freeware program that lets you schedule the volume of a windows based computer.  The current schedule mutes the volume between 10:00 pm and 9:00 am.