Using Alexa to Run Scenes

6 posts in this topic

The Alexa app continues to be updated and improved, but I still cannot get it to run Iris Scenes. It "sees" them and lists them, but I cannot find a command word that will initiate an Iris scene. Amazon CS was of no assistance -- they told me the Iris hub wasn't working correctly.

Who is having success running Scenes through Alexa? If you are, what wording convention do you use?

On 11/5/2017 at 4:34 PM, pavalov said:

The Alexa app continues to be updated and improved, but I still cannot get it to run Iris Scenes. It "sees" them and lists them, but I cannot find a command word that will initiate an Iris scene. Amazon CS was of no assistance -- they told me the Iris hub wasn't working correctly.

Who is having success running Scenes through Alexa? If you are, what wording convention do you use?

I've been running iris scenes through alexa for a while and not had any issue with it, however you should note that they seem to only work on lighting/switch/smart plug scenes. If the scene involves the alarm, a door lock, or a number of other devices it will not work. The command is "alexa, turn on [name of scene]". I know it can be an awkward command, but it does work ("alexa, turn on goodnight").
Alternately, amazon has recently released something called routines where you can create your own trigger phrase to control a series of devices, run scenes, and do things like play a flash briefing. Last I checked iris scenes were not yet compatible with alexa routines, but iris has said they were working on fixing that soon. As a workaround I have recreated some of my scenes as a routine in alexa. I can say "alexa, I'm home" and it turns on my entertainment center (via harmony) and several lights (via iris). I also have created some simple routines containing just a single device just to make the command more intuitive. For instance, "alexa, let the dog out" will "turn on" the smart plug that powers a kennel opener, which is much more intutive than saying "alexa, turn on the kennel opener".

For the most part Alexa has worked for me as expected. The one issue I have is that if I tell Alexa to forget an Iris scene or device it 'finds' it again and adds it back on its own without me running the Alexa discovery routine. I have an Iris scene and a device in Iris that have similar names, and Alexa can't tell which one to run. It keeps telling me there are multiple items with that name, and asks which one did I mean. When I repeat the name clearly it repeats the multiple devices line and we go round and round until I give up. For me it seems that Alexa does not like anything whose name consists of more than two words. So 'Back Porch Light' is troublesome but 'Porch Light' works just fine. Problem is with two porches I can't define front or back.

2 hours ago, sparc said:

So 'Back Porch Light' is troublesome but 'Porch Light' works just fine. Problem is with two porches I can't define front or back.

I guess you just need to figure out which one is the "piazza" as they say in Charleston.

13 hours ago, sparc said:

For me it seems that Alexa does not like anything whose name consists of more than two words. So 'Back Porch Light' is troublesome but 'Porch Light' works just fine. Problem is with two porches I can't define front or back.

Have you tried naming them "Frontporch light" and "Backporch light"?
I haven't tried that, but I'm thinking it might make a difference.