Just gonna leave this right here........Lowes Article
1 1

17 posts in this topic

Two things I notice right off when looking at the Lowes Smarthome site are that Iris is NOT strongly featured and neither is Alexa.

Above the fold, Samsung Connect, Iris is out of sight way down the page and then it's a Wi-Fi smart plug, no mention of the Iris hub.

Alexa is a mention near the bottom of the page sort of like; "Oh yeah, we have Alexa too".

I believe the days of Iris are numbered, UNLESS they open up and start supporting/interfacing with other brands of ZigBee and Z-Wave equipment.

Two things I've noticed recently - monthly iris newsletter is more focused on discounts on poor selling iris hardware and less on software features/improvements and secondly, the tenor and quality of the iris help line is more oriented towards tier 1 tech support and assistance w/ their professional monitoring service.

This implies to me that Lowe's might indeed be considering selling off or at least de-emphasizing IRIS as a current/future platform, and just trying to get enough of an ongoing revenue stream to sell it off to someone else or at the minimum, not lose too much $$ if they decommission it in a few years.

Was reading a story about how Harmony plans to brick all their first generation hubs come March 2018.

They are offering discounts to current users but it reminded me of the Iris V1/V2 transition.

I received a weekly flyer in the mail that contained a half page of smart home offerings, SmartThings starter pack, Ecobee, Ring, Smasung Smart Plug and Lutron wireless switch with hub.  Not one mention of iris.

So I wonder how long they will have to keep Iris up and running so
they can say we got our moneys worth before they close it all down.

There have few if any new devices and the web site is still labeled as
in 'Beta' after almost 2 years. There was a push a while back to sell
off some old V1 stock. Remember earlier this year when it was reported
that V1 devices were showing up on the shelf at various stores?

For those of you that use Wink, most Iris products are now supported by Wink as they keep adding more & more HA product compatibility every few weeks or so.

I just have a feeling that the Iris fat lady is warming up to sing in the distance sometime in 2018...hope I'm wrong but a shakeup is bound to happen with Lowe's treating Iris like a red-headed step child.

mojo2600

I have been waiting on a new keypad before pushing forward with expanding my system.  I want to install a system for my elderly mother who lives next door, but not getting good vibes from my Lowes stores in SC about Iris being a viable solution in 2018.

Frustrating, I have been pretty happy with the things I have used Iris for.

In my opinion this is why Iris will go under. The price is too high compared to devices on other systems. And anyone going to Lowes website or looking in the store will see that right off and price will drive them away. The list of unanswered wants or missing or deleted features won't even figure into the equation, price alone will make the decision for most.

This clip is off Lowes website today. Roughly 1/3 more for the iris branded leak detector, which only works with Iris.
And Iris won't easily sync with other brands, if at all.

Leak Sensor.png

The SmartThings devices just went on sale recently as they seem to be interested in growing their ADT integrated solution more which has its own set of devices.  The Utilitech Water leak detector will work fine with Iris but is a lot more work to install so the convenience of the Iris one provides some benefit to me anyway.  Usually Iris's prices are less than Samsung's although there are a ton of others that make things that will work with ST but not necessarily run local (which of course neither does Iris).