Question Regarding Thermostats
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I have not invested in connected thermostats as I've read of too many people having problems with them.  I've read of runaway heat, a/c, and many failures to change temperatures at their designated times.  Every once in a while I get interested again.

With the connected thermostats, are there only a few time periods available for each day, like a standard programmable thermostat, or are you totally free to schedule anything you like?  Here's what I'm getting at:  When I've had devices that were supposed to turn on and off based on time, but did not have reliable connections, I would set a schedule like this (for Christmas lights):

Sunset- On, 6:30 PM- On, 7 PM- On, 7:30 PM- On, 10 PM- Off, 11 PM- Off, 12 AM- Off, Sunrise- Off

Can you do something similar with temperature on the thermostats to help ensure that you will eventually get the right temp if it is disconnected for say 30 minutes when it is supposed to change temp?

I've used the CT101 (which is now at my parents house and working just fine), and currently I am using a nest. I had some issues with the reliability of the CT101 when I first switched to V2, but it seems to work fine now.
I'm pretty sure both allow you to set as many changes you want throughout the day. If you are concerned about reliability, I would suggest doing the nest. It might be a little less flexible depending on exactly how you want it to integrate with iris, but it is rock solid and "just works" and has never given me a single problem.

I have been using the CT-101 on my Iris system for a couple of years now and it has never failed me.  I guess I shouldn't say never, there has been a time or two where it lost connection and did not change to the next temp in the schedule. It has been very infrequent though.  You can schedule as many changes as you want during the day. in fact you can have a different schedule each day.   Worst case is your thermostat loses z-wave or internet connection it does not change to the next set temp.  I have never had it run away, it just didin't switch to the next set temp, and as I said that has been only a couple of times..  Perhaps now with some local processing it will maintain the schedule even with loss of internet connection, but they haven't been very clear about that.  I have only read on here that there is some local processing as I have received no word on this from Iris.  I think it mostly pertains to those who use their system as a alarm system.  I do not.

I'm running two CT-101's as thermostats (and three more as humidity sensors in my crawl space). My experience has been similar to Terminal's -- some problems in the past, but they are now stable and I rely on them every day to make the adjustments I need.

I was running a CT-101 at home and work.  The one at home was fine for 2 years but recently began losing connection to the hub.  I would reset and re-pair it, set up schedule and it would be fine for a day or two.  Then it would drop connection again.  When it dropped, it would not change to next step as mentioned above.  It never ran away, but it would hold a "heat to" setting and never lower.  Also mentioned above, I had 8 different settings for weekdays.  At times, it would lose connection to the hub when it was set to a high temp.  Then it would not be able to drop the temp, such as when I left for work.  I would come home to a warm home, but it was maintaining that temp all day.  I switched this one out for a Honeywell.  The one at work has been fine.