Echo Plus

4 posts in this topic

I see Amazon now has a version of Alexa called Echo Plus which ahs a built-in smart home hub.

It's only ZigBee, no mention of Z-Wave or Wi-Fi connectivity but thinking about someone looking
to get into the HA game now they are going to weigh the $149 Echo Plus against the price of an Iris
or any other brand hub plus they would still need an Echo Dot or other Alexa device to have voice
interaction and control.

I think people will look at the Echo Plus and the soon to follow devices from others that integrate the
hub inside which cleans up the house as one less device sitting on the shelf, one less wall wart required
to power it up, no hassles with compatibility between devices, and more I am sure.

Has anyone used this yet?  Does it work with most Iris compatible devices?  I'm seriously considering switching hubs for Iris, but there's a lot to choose from these days.  As you said, combining the Echo with a Hub means one less device (two less if you include the fact that it has a wireless speaker), and I would think possibly better integration between the hub and Alexa.

I haven't used it but I have thought about getting this for my Mom and Dad.  My Mom seems curious about how to make lights come on by asking Alexa.  I think this system might be all they need.  I don't think it has much use beyond tuning lights on or off.  Alexa doen't seem to have any scheduling or notification features with respect to smart home devices, but that may change with the Plus.