Proximity "Tag" for Iris Camera On/Off?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I'm using Nest cameras that turn off with an iPhone geofence - I'm home the cameras are off, I'm away they are on.

I've just sent for some Iris Indoor Cameras.

1. Do I have the same option to turn off/on by my iPhone location?

My wife refuses to use apps on a SmartPhone - is there a "tag" of some sort I can put on her car to turn cameras on/off when her car home?

BRET

Geofencing is on the feature list but who knows when it will be available. In the meantime you could put the camera on an outlet or smart plug and have the plug turn on or off based on a fob presence or departure.

Geofencing is on the feature list but who knows when it will be available. In the meantime you could put the camera on an outlet or smart plug and have the plug turn on or off based on a fob presence or departure.

That will do for now - thanks for the help!

7 hours ago, Vettester said:

If you want to use a third party app to manage your Iris cameras Blue Iris has geofencing capabilities.

What exactly can you do with an Iris camera, Blue Iris and geofencing?

2 hours ago, scunny said:

What exactly can you do with an Iris camera, Blue Iris and geofencing?

There is a large list of possibilities for both entering and exiting a geofence area. 

This was extracted from the Blue Iris help file:

Mobile devices

When the Blue Iris iOS, Android, or Windows phone client is used to connect to your Blue Iris server, an entry for each device will appear on the Options/Mobile devices page.

Mobile Options.PNG

In addition to tracking mobile device client connections, this page will allow you to "pair" with each device, in order to allow your Blue Iris to send "push notifications" to these devices.  Check the boxes in the Push column corresponding to the devices which should receive push notifications.  You must also enable push notifications on the Alerts page in camera properties.  Finally, make sure that the executable BlueIrisApplePush.exe in your Blue Iris program files folder has been allowed through your Windows Firewall.

Select a device and then use the Up and Down buttons to re-arrange the priority of the mobile device.  Push notifications are sent to devices according to their order on this list.

Geofencing is a device location services technology that allows the device to notify a server when the device enters or exits a defined region.  If location services and geofencing are enabled for the Blue Iris client app on your mobile device, the app will notify your Blue Iris server whenever the device leaves or enters a defined circular region.  You may define what Blue Iris should do in response to these events by selecting a device and then using the Enter geofence and Exit geofence buttons.

Mobile Options Inside.PNG

Select Only if ALL devices are inside/outside to prevent a single device's status from triggering the actions.

You may specify a number of actions to be performed as a device enters or exits its geofence region.  These actions include changing the traffic signal icon, the active profile, the schedule preset, as well as triggering a camera, sending a push notification, running a script or simply playing a sound on the PC.

There are a large number of potential uses for this functionality apart from simply "arming" and "disarming" Blue Iris.  For example, when the "run" option is used in conjunction with other home automation software, you may use Blue Iris to turn on/off lights.  Or, you can be notified when your children leave or are about to return home.

8 hours ago, Vettester said:

There are a large number of potential uses for this functionality apart from simply "arming" and "disarming" Blue Iris.  For example, when the "run" option is used in conjunction with other home automation software, you may use Blue Iris to turn on/off lights.  Or, you can be notified when your children leave or are about to return home.

If Iris had an API it would open up a lot of possibilities in the home automation space.

13 hours ago, Vettester said:

There are a large number of potential uses for this functionality apart from simply "arming" and "disarming" Blue Iris.  For example, when the "run" option is used in conjunction with other home automation software, you may use Blue Iris to turn on/off lights.

If it worked with Lowes Iris that would be nice. What would be better is if Lowes would build this into the Iris app instead of having to rely on third party solutions. When you think about it nothing really new has been brought into the app except some minor tweaks/enhancements. Nothing of the magnitude of adding geo-fencing. It has taken over a year to get _some_ local processing back in the hub. I'm afraid I'll be dead before anything really useful comes along.