Motion Sensor Trigger Timeout

9 posts in this topic

This afternoon my alarm went off due to motion in my shop (shown as 'Barn' below).  I confirmed that 2 motion devices are required for an alarm.  Two devices did see motion, but it was over 2 hours apart (see below).  I've been under the impression that motion had to be within a few minutes of each detection.  Am I wrong?  I have an occasional squirrel in the shop so when a camera or motion sensor sees motion, it turns on 'Barn Smart Plug' which powers a really loud Shop Vac for 60 seconds.  It does a great job with the squirrels.  I have no video for the motion at 11:26, but I do for 1:44.  At that time, the sun was shining through a window on the floor directly under the motion sensor (it's ceiling mounting, facing straight down).

Below is my history.

Date and Time              History
11-28-2017 1:45:08 pm    Barn Smart Plug Switched off by the rule Barn Motion Frt
11-28-2017 1:44:37 pm    Barn Motion Sensor - Front Motion was no longer detected
11-28-2017 1:44:23 pm    Barn Lights 1st Floor Switched on
11-28-2017 1:44:23 pm    Barn Lights Workbench Switched on
11-28-2017 1:44:22 pm    Scene Run Scene All Barn Lights On was run by rule Alarm - Barn Lights On
11-28-2017 1:44:22 pm    Security Alarm Triggered
11-28-2017 1:44:01 pm    Barn Smart Plug Switched on by the rule Barn Motion Frt
11-28-2017 1:44:00 pm    Barn Motion Sensor - Front Motion was detected
11-28-2017 11:27:42 am    Barn Smart Plug Switched off by the rule Barn Motion Rear
11-28-2017 11:27:12 am    Barn Motion Sensor - Rear Motion was no longer detected
11-28-2017 11:26:37 am    Barn Smart Plug Switched on by the rule Barn Motion Rear
11-28-2017 11:26:37 am    Barn Motion Sensor - Rear Motion was detected
11-28-2017 11:00:00 am    Pool Pump Switched on

So based on the above regardless of the number of devices the user sets to trip the alarm the alarm will ALWAYS trip on a single device actuation IF that device is a contact sensor of tilt sensor or glass breakage detector. And the only time the 2 or more setting comes into play is with motion sensors and motion sensors only, meaning that a contact sensor (or equal) can not act as the first half of a trip (alarm activation).

So a question: Can a Motion Sensor participate as a single point trip device like a contact sensor can?

From the sounds of it for me (with no kids or pets or other critters roaming around the house) that the 2 or more rule does not help prevent false alarm activations which was my intention when I enabled it.

I was under the impression (apparently incorrectly) that setting the 2 or more rule would require a trip of ANY 2 devices, I did not understand it to be that it worked only for motion sensors and all other detection devices acted on their own to trip the alarm.

I have a few scenarios where I thought the 2 or more rule was working for me.

1. In the basement I have contact sensors on all the basement windows. They are those tilt-in casement windows that would be tough to crawl through but if you were small enough you could do it. But you'd make a lot of noise getting the window sash out which is a PITA having done it under good conditions. Behind those I have a motion sensor watching the area thinking that if someone forced a window open AND movement in view of the motion sensor was detected within the 5 minute time period I would get a trip and alarm activation.

2. I have a motion sensor on the back porch. It operates the back porch light when someone approaches. As a participating alarm device it would be the first half of a trip were someone to come through the back door and set the second half of the trip by the contact switch on the door. The sensor is mounted up high and not easily defeated.

3. At the front door I have a contact switch as do all the doors to the house and it is backed up by a motion sensor. Again my thinking was the door switch would be the first half of a trip and the motion sensor the second half of the trip and activate the alarm. The sensor is placed such that if the door is opened the slightest it will sense it, but far enough away that it can't be defeated before it senses the intruder.

4. On my shed I have a contact switch on the roll up door, backed up by a motion sensor in the shed which can see the door and the small window on the adjacent wall. For the shed I want the 2 out of 2 rule to eliminate falses caused by a critter (mouse etc.) which may get inside the shed or sunlight tripping the motion sensor or whatever. I want the door switch to be activated and the motion sensor to be the second half of a trip and activate the alarm.

So I guess what I would like to be able to do is build a logic string (like ITTT) for each alarm circuit where I can define which devices and in what order will trip an alarm or cause some other action to occur such as a push notification or SMS message. Having the use the same parameters when you have multiple areas or buildings to protect is not very flexible. I thought I was almost there with the 2 or more rule, but apparently not.

Sparc, if I remember correctly, the scenarios you listed would have worked as you expected when running v1.  In v2, the multi-sensor requirement (in my case 2 sensors to trip the alarm) only applies to motion sensors, including cameras. 

I think I'll post in the 'official forum' and see if support can answer why my alarm tripped with over 2 hours between motion being detected.

I have had three such alarms in the past week or so, with two motion detectors having problems with spurious detection (not sure why yet, but that's not relevant here). Every few days, they fire within five minutes of each other. Only the first one appears in the log. If I look at the push notification on my Android, it reports that the alarm was triggered by the second device. So it is a bug in the history logging function that fails to log the firing device. Note in the first image that the alarm status page does not report the firing device, but the Iris notification does. The "basement stairs" motion sensor initiates the five minute sequence, but the next item on the alarm status page, and in the history log, is the video cameras beginning to record. Only by looking at the push message do you see the actual trigger. 

Screenshot_2017-12-04-23-53-29-1.png

Screenshot_2017-12-04-23-50-24-1.png

I received this from IrisByLowes last Thursday:

Hi Jim,   We wanted to send an update that the motion sensor issue you flagged to us has been resolved. A firmware update was released this morning that should address this issue. Let us know if you experience something of this nature again.   Thanks again, The Iris Team

I assume the firmware update is a hub update as I'm now running 2.1.0.060.