Water heater adjustment not sticking

6 posts in this topic

I've fought with this since I put my water heater in, but just now getting around to posting about it.
Does anyone else have difficulties making changes to the water heater temp? Every time I go to change it, I have to change like 1 or 2 degrees at a time and then wait for a while, then change a couple more, and repeat until I get it where I want.
If I change it by more than a couple of degrees at a time it just jumps back several degrees (usually back to where I started). I also get random disconnects with my water heater, so I'm wondering if its an issue of wifi coverage....

Hey Smitho,

I hear your pain. I've had this water heater controller for four years. Let me address your questions in order:

Does anyone else have difficulties making changes to the water heater temp? Every time I go to change it, I have to change like 1 or 2 degrees at a time and then wait for a while, then change a couple more, and repeat until I get it where I want.
If I change it by more than a couple of degrees at a time it just jumps back several degrees (usually back to where I started).

I find that if you  keep pressing the temperature change to the desired temperature, and then wait, sometimes as long as 30 seconds, it will settle on the desired temperature. It will not always jump directly to the desired temp but sometimes works its way up, or down, to it. See if this works for you.

By the way, I've asked Iris to make this easier and they responded that they will consider it. It's aggravating to have to press the up (or down) button 50 times to change the temperature from a low to a high.

I also get random disconnects with my water heater, so I'm wondering if its an issue of wifi coverage....

Me, too! I don't know why but it happens. But no harm, no foul. It still works.

18 hours ago, Tabasco said:

I find that if you  keep pressing the temperature change to the desired temperature, and then wait, sometimes as long as 30 seconds, it will settle on the desired temperature. It will not always jump directly to the desired temp but sometimes works its way up, or down, to it. See if this works for you.

No luck... I just tried changing it from 110 to 130 (by tapping the + sign 20 times). After 20 consecutive taps it showed the temp at 130, then after about 10 or 15 seconds it jumped to 117, where it stayed for at least 5 minutes.
I then tapped it up from 117 to 130, after a few seconds it flashed to 117 and then to 130 and stayed. I've messed with it quite a bit after that and sometimes it "works its way up" as you mentioned, but occasionally it just stops somewhere in-between.
I have found that changing the temp via the web interface seems to work much more reliably, so I believe its just a bug with the app. I remember having similar issues with a CT101 quite a while back (I have switched to the nest since then).
I wish they would redesign it with the wheel like the thermostat has now. We could also use some rules and ability to include water heater temps as part of a scene.... its ridiculous that an item as expensive as a water heater would get almost all it's functionality stripped away during the move from V1 to V2 and 2 years later it is still being ignored!

Bummer. As for rules and scenes, I've also gotten a reply from Iris tech support that they are looking into adding this for the water heater.

I'm curious, which web interface are you using to change the water heater temperature? I didn't know this was available.

17 hours ago, Tabasco said:

I'm curious, which web interface are you using to change the water heater temperature? I didn't know this was available.

The official iris beta web interface at https://home.irisbylowes.com/
They don't have a "water card", however if you go to "devices" and find your water heater, you have basic + - adjustment and the ability to change the mode between standard and energy smart.