Iris sent me news about Santa Tracker
2 2

8 posts in this topic

This morning I got an email from IRIS alerting me of their lame Santa Tracker feature in the IRIS app.

It pisses me off that the IRIS app development team is so lame about priorities, and have not spent time delivering the Version 1 parity that they so many times promised.  IRIS still has not come close to parity with version 1.

I don't need Santa.

Give me PARITY or give me DEATH. 

Santa Tracker isn't new they just turn it off after Christmas and turn it back on in time for the holidays, so I doubt it takes any of the Developers time each year anymore.  I haven't used it yet, but there are many on here with small children and most say their kids seem to enjoy it.

They might be busy on this, in case you haven't seen it (see image). Of course, one of the comments on the article: "I looked for one of these at Lowe's, but they are apparently out of stock."

1 hour ago, EyeRuss said:

IRIS still has not come close to parity with version 1.

New Lowe's Product.png

Yep, this has been around for quite a while... and I doubt it was even developed in house. They turn it on and then back off every year.

I understand your frustration that we are still missing some V1 features, but realistically I think it's unfair to say "we are not even close". Maybe I am missing something, but it seems like almost all of V1 functionality has been introduced in the V2 product with maybe a handful of items still remaining. These are the things I've noticed are still missing:
Energy monitoring
Scheduled access to locks
Change the indicator lights default state on Z-Wave wall switches
Some water heater and blinds functionality (Not sure about this one, but I believe these are more limited in V2)

In fact, a lot of what required a premium account with V1 can now be done with a free account on V2. 

There is a thread on parity issues here somewhere... I'll try to dig it up.
I bet you will find that a LOT of the items on that list have already been addressed.

49 minutes ago, Smitho said:

... In fact, a lot of what required a premium account with V1 can now be done with a free account on V2. 

There is a thread on parity issues here somewhere... I'll try to dig it up.
I bet you will find that a LOT of the items on that list have already been addressed.

And I bet we can also find a LOT of items that have not been addressed.

The Santa Tracker comes up every year...

I think what we got is what we are going to get at, no sense in worrying about it anymore... Honestly at this point they have started rolling out local processing, as long as they get that back to a working state I'm going to call it close enough. So I guess lack of local processing was my biggest complaint. What's yours?

Other than that my alarm is back to functioning pretty good these days? I do miss a couple other features from V1, but those features aren't deal breakers for me.

It is true Santa Tracker just gets reactivated every year but it is still irritating every time it comes up.  It is  a yearly reminder of the developer time that was wasted when Iris was buggy as a crack house and almost unusable.  I view it as bloat.  It doesn't belong in the Iris app.  If you have kids and want this type of app they are available in the google play store including one by Lowes.  I am sure this is the same for Apple users but don't know for sure and don't really care.

1 hour ago, Otto Mation said:

It is true Santa Tracker just gets reactivated every year but it is still irritating every time it comes up.  It is  a yearly reminder of the developer time that was wasted when Iris was buggy as a crack house and almost unusable.  I view it as bloat.  It doesn't belong in the Iris app.  If you have kids and want this type of app they are available in the google play store including one by Lowes.  I am sure this is the same for Apple users but don't know for sure and don't really care.

The iOS app hasn't been updated since October 11th so I haven't had to deal with this yet, but I agree that Santa Tracker doesn't belong in the Iris app.