Lowe's Iris smart home membership jumps 40% in 2017
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Imagine how well it could have done if the local Lowe's stores didn't act like they wanted it to fail.
If they would keep the iris sections looking presentable, keep the shelves stocked, and have someone in the store that even knows what it is, that 40% could have been even higher.
In most stores a lot of the iris products are kept "in the cage" and you have to ask about them. The last time I went looking for an iris product there wasn't even a place on the shelf for it... they didn't have pickup cards or anything, although they had several in stock. Meanwhile the iris section is full of phone chargers, cat 5 cables, hdmi wall plates, bluetooth speakers, and random wemo and idevices smart home products which aren't even iris compatible.

What frustrates me is I have been told my local Lowes store doesn't even keep iris stuff "because the local demographic doesn't support smart home devices" however, over the years they have started to carry all the Nest, Ring, idevice, wemo, rachio, and google home stuff.... pretty much everything EXCEPT iris. I pass a lowes store every day coming home from work, yet I have to go to one 45 minutes from home to get iris devices. How is iris supposed to compete when their own store will not carry their stuff, yet push competing products?

Totally agree with @Smitho on this.  The only Iris compatible items my local store has in stock are the wifi smart plug and the Duraflame heater.  That's more than they usually stock, so kudos to them for having a smart plug.  Though, the smart plugs are on a little wire rack with GE wireless alarm components.

On another note, they have had Google Home Minis in the middle aisle for a couple of weeks now.  First time I checked inventory online, they had ~30 of each color on hand.  When I looked 2 days ago, they had 17 of the charcoal on hand.   I went to pick one up, but they had been moved from that prominent location.  I couldn't find them any where in the store, so I asked a service rep.  He had to ask me twice what exactly I was looking for.  Does "Google Home Mini" sound like any other home improvement item?   He then asked another rep who didn't know either.  He looked it up on a store computer, which probably told him the same thing their app was telling me.  We then searched the store and he was able to find a misplaced chalk colored one.  I was so frustrated that I bought that one, (going in a cabinet anyway) and walked out.

We have Iris at work, and 3 of the 7 employees in my department have Iris systems at home.  Of those 3, one has an Iris system at his church as well.  If they had local stock, I would have another system at my Moms house as well. 

Like Smitho said, imagine what they could have gained if all stores stocked components and had service reps that knew Iris.

I've also seen several friends add IRIS systems in 2017 so that adds to the 40% increase figure.   

Personal belief,  it's growing so I don't see any reason to think the IRIS service won't continue to exist.

I was at Best Buy yesterday and was amazed at how many systems and devices they sell that are completely fragmented and the "average" customer would have a tough time knowing what light bulb or camera would work with what system.

There's definitely an opportunity if they want to make a push as I don't think there's a clear universal winner (that includes security)

There were a few growing pains with V2,  but it's very very stable now and the app store shows very positive reviews.   I always thought it was possible they held off a marketing push until the system was flawless,  it would do permanent damage if a re-launch was deemed a poor product.

Let's see what they have in store at CES 2018.

1 hour ago, jeff909 said:

I was at Best Buy yesterday and was amazed at how many systems and devices they sell that are completely fragmented and the "average" customer would have a tough time knowing what light bulb or camera would work with what system.

Lol.  Were you at the Bakersfield California Best Buy?  That place was a Smart Home disaster yesterday.  You would have to know exactly what you were after.  

37 minutes ago, Vettester said:

I'm sure demographics has a lot to do with how well Lowe's stocks Iris inventory.  There are 15 stores within a 50 mile radius of my home and they are all well stocked and maintained with Iris inventory.

So I'm in the central valley of California.  Lots of agriculture, very little tech industry.  There are 8 stores within a 50 mile radius.  3 of these have decent inventory, 2 have very limited inventory and the rest have little to zero.

I've always kinda figured they have more control over what stores get iris than the other smart home products.
It's possible they have to sign agreements with nest, ring, and other manufacturers saying that they will stock them in all of their stores. It is likely that they know these other devices will not perform well in certain stores, however they assume that risk because its the only way to get them into their other stores. It just comes off as having more confidence in the other products than their own.

On 12/28/2017 at 1:35 PM, jeff909 said:

I've also seen several friends add IRIS systems in 2017 so that adds to the 40% increase figure.   

Personal belief,  it's growing so I don't see any reason to think the IRIS service won't continue to exist.

There's definitely an opportunity if they want to make a push as I don't think there's a clear universal winner (that includes security)

There were a few growing pains with V2,  but it's very very stable now and the app store shows very positive reviews.   I always thought it was possible they held off a marketing push until the system was flawless,  it would do permanent damage if a re-launch was deemed a poor product.

Let's see what they have in store at CES 2018.

I totally agree with all these points.  This will go down as one of the major technology opportunities squandered if they don't get moving with advertising, stocking stores, and improvements in the bland monochrome, slow, user interface.  There are more types of integrated devices in the Iris ecosphere than any of the "popular", well advertised systems yet, it's virtually invisible to the consumers.  Sad.