Light brightness on motion
1 1

4 posts in this topic

I can't seem to find a way to turn on a light at a specific brightness on motion.
I already have rules that turns on the hall light when motion is detected in the hallway, but that rule is set to go inactive at my children's bed time (as to not wake them up)
I would like to create a new rule that will turn the light on at a low percentage with motion after bedtime, but I can't find a way to do this.
Any way to work around this limitation? Am I missing something?

I have not tested this specifically but it should work.  A light will turn back on using it's last dimmer setting.  Create a scene to turn the light on at say 25%.  Schedule that scene to run at the time you want the dimmer setting to happen.  Then create a 2nd scene to turn that light back off scheduled 1 minute after the 1st scene.  This will put the light into the dimmer setting you want and should turn on at that level from a motion. You will have to create another set of scenes to reverse the dimmer setting and put the light back into the brighter mode.

It's a shame we have to jump through so many hoops to accomplish what should be a simple dimmer setting on a motion rule.

17 hours ago, scunny said:

I have not tested this specifically but it should work.  A light will turn back on using it's last dimmer setting.  Create a scene to turn the light on at say 25%.  Schedule that scene to run at the time you want the dimmer setting to happen.  Then create a 2nd scene to turn that light back off scheduled 1 minute after the 1st scene.  This will put the light into the dimmer setting you want and should turn on at that level from a motion. You will have to create another set of scenes to reverse the dimmer setting and put the light back into the brighter mode.

It's a shame we have to jump through so many hoops to accomplish what should be a simple dimmer setting on a motion rule.

Yeah, I don't know that I'm willing to do all of that. If I scheduled it to come on at the desired brightness at bed time, I cant see that being too disruptive. However,  I don't want a schedule that turns them on at full brightness automatically in the morning. In the event we have an opportunity to sleep in, I don't want the hall light coming on to wake up the kids.
Hopefully this will come sometime in the future... I was hoping I was just missing a rule somewhere that would do this.

9 hours ago, Smitho said:

Yeah, I don't know that I'm willing to do all of that. If I scheduled it to come on at the desired brightness at bed time, I cant see that being too disruptive. However,  I don't want a schedule that turns them on at full brightness automatically in the morning. In the event we have an opportunity to sleep in, I don't want the hall light coming on to wake up the kids.
Hopefully this will come sometime in the future... I was hoping I was just missing a rule somewhere that would do this.

Then instead of scheduling an automatic full brightness in the morning, you could just manually turn the brightness back up when you first get up. Then the motion sensor will turn them on at that brightness until your evening Scene kicks back in.