Iris V2 camera light

6 posts in this topic

I have not seen this until today when I installed a camera on my garage after I moved; a red led. I had to extend my camera power wire because it wouldn’t reach the outlet and I used some solid wire for a garage door opener because it looks about the same diameter. When the camera is powering up there is a bright red LED in the bottom left corner that comes on for a little bit then goes out. This isn’t the IR LED’s but a single one in the bottom left. Anyone know what this means?  I have looked it op online and can’t find anything. Thanks in advance. 

I'm guessing you mean you cut the cable between the transformer and the end that plugs into the camera and spliced in extra length, is this right?  If so they make an extension cable

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Iris-9-ft-White-Indoor-Outdoor-Security-Camera-Power-Extension-Cable/1000059647

Are you sure you didn't accidentally get the polarity wrong on the plug now by getting the wires mixed up?  One wire goes to the center of the post and needs to match what is expected it should be marked on the device as + or - in the center.

7 hours ago, Terk said:

I'm guessing you mean you cut the cable between the transformer and the end that plugs into the camera and spliced in extra length, is this right?  If so they make an extension cable

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Iris-9-ft-White-Indoor-Outdoor-Security-Camera-Power-Extension-Cable/1000059647

Are you sure you didn't accidentally get the polarity wrong on the plug now by getting the wires mixed up?  One wire goes to the center of the post and needs to match what is expected it should be marked on the device as + or - in the center.

Yeah, I know they make the extension cables but they don't sell them in the store and this was a free option.  I extended an outside V1 camera a long time ago through the attic with two 18awg wires and it worked for years.  Yeah I am sure that I didn't reverse the polarity I was an installer for several years and been in electronics all my life so that I know is correct :).  Also that was the first thing I checked when I saw the red light come on, it just comes on for several seconds after plugging it in but doesn't do it on other cameras.  If I had to make a guess it would be that the garage door wire might not be large enough for adding length, but the camera functions fine.  The garage wire had the same gray stripe as the Iris power cable so it was easy to match.  Thanks for the reply.

6 hours ago, Vettester said:

I have a bunch of these and I have never noticed a red LED in the lower left corner of any of them and there is no mention of it in the user's guide.

Exactly, that is why I was asking here.  I might get some larger wire and re-run it today to see if the issue goes away.  I will post a pic of it, as I didn't know there was a LED on the front, and let y'all know if this fixes it.

Good luck, going with a little larger wire would probably be a good place to start, although you may just want to shorten the wire back to normal length by exposing your solder connections and clamping the wires back the way they were first to see if the camera behaves as expected before going to the work of replacing the garage door wire?