Appears that iris has no presence at CES again
2 2

8 posts in this topic

This is rather disappointing.
I've searched the exhibitor listings and I can't find anything for iris. Hopefully I am just missing something, but somehow I doubt it.
This is the 2nd year now they have had no presence in the biggest consumer electronics showcase in the world. All the biggest names, (and most of the smaller ones as well) in smart home technology are represented, but no Iris. I was hoping the relative silence recently was indicative of something big coming and we would learn about it at CES. Unfortunately, they just aren't looking like they will ever be a big player in the industry.
This is sad.

Looks like the Amazon Fire TV has done the same.  Not that I agree but I'm thinking that the wealthiest person in history ."Bezos" and a fortune 100 company might have a better insight in the need of their companies to participate at CES.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/10/16872206/amazon-fire-tv-os-missing-ces-2018

On a related topic, an Iris Community Manager finally posted a response to a post started many months ago (July) in the Community Forum entitled "Is Iris going to be around much longer?":

https://community.irisbylowes.com/t5/Professional-Monitoring/Is-Iris-going-to-be-around-much-longer/gpm-p/2742#M59

"Hi,

Short of something unforseen involving zombies or perhaps a large asterioid, the end is most certainly not nigh for Iris. It is disappointing that your local Lowe's store's Iris display was not up to your (and our) expectations; we work with our stores to try to make sure your shopping experience is as good as it can be, and it sounds like this wasn't the case for you, which we will look into. 

In 2017, the Iris team added support for dozens of new devices, released an enhanced web user experience, introduced a reamped Security system and introduced Professional Monitoring, and shipped dozens of smaller features and fixes. Our 2018 plans are just as packed and we will continue enhancing and growing the Iris platform and ecosystem. 

Thank you for being an Iris customer and for posting here. Customers like you are why we do what we do.

Happy New Year to you and your family!

-Mike"

10 hours ago, pavalov said:

In 2017, the Iris team added support for dozens of new devices,

Rather, Pavlov quoted an Iris spokesman... If Lowe's has added support for "dozens of devices" in 2017, is there an official list? While I'm sure that some non-Iris devices are supported, all of the third-party sensors (and one siren) have paired but appear as non-supported devices. I did search the Iris community site for "supported" but no list of supported devices was found. Would love to see the Aeon Labs power meter supported again, as I have two of them wasting away in a dormant state... 

I'm with you on the Aeon meter but it's not going to happen.  The list of supported devices can be found in the Iris app. Without digging into the app a few come to mind that were added last year. Google Home, Amazon Echo, Yale Locks and the Philips Hue line.

4 hours ago, scunny said:

I'm with you on the Aeon meter but it's not going to happen. 

I'm assuming that this isn't a technical limitation with V2? Do we have any information on why Lowe's would forego a feature that is obviously important to many people, and those who purchased these devices, assuming they would be supported?

Thanks for the info on the supported list. I hadn't thought of putting Iris in pairing mode to find the supported devices...

1 hour ago, hxn said:

I'm assuming that this isn't a technical limitation with V2? Do we have any information on why Lowe's would forego a feature that is obviously important to many people, and those who purchased these devices, assuming they would be supported?

Thanks for the info on the supported list. I hadn't thought of putting Iris in pairing mode to find the supported devices...

Over on the community forum they stated that there just wasn't enough interest in it.  That is the main reason I ended up buying a ST hub and moving most of my devices to ST.

Here is a quote from the community manager at Iris

Re-introducing energy monitoring isn't something we're working on currently. According to our metrics on V1, we didn't see widespread adoption of this feature set. However, we would appreciate use cases for temperature graphing.

I read that there is a new Z-Wave 700 series chip available soon which will offer many improvements
and new features over the current Z-Wave Plus chips which are the 500 series I believe.

Key features of the 700-Series platform include:

• Low power: 700-Series will have best-in-class low power radio performance enabling multiyear battery lifetime and more than 10-year sensor lifetime on a coin-cell.
  • Long range: 700-Series platform will enable range of more than 300 feet, covering multi-stories in a house and the far end of the yard.
  • Low cost and fast time to market: 700-Series gets developers started fast with low cost developer kits, tools and readymade certified reference code ensuring minimum time from prototype to certified product.
  • High performance: Powerful ARM®-based platform with large memory on the chip and many peripherals, enabling intelligence at the edge with fast energy efficient computation and secure inclusion in less than one second.
  • Certified interoperable and backwards compatible: Every 700-Series device will have the highest level of security in the smart home with Z-Wave Security 2 (S2) framework and consistent easy install with Z-Wave SmartStart.

https://www.sigmadesigns.com/news/sigma-designs-unlocks-full-potential-smart-home-next-generation-z-wave-700-series-chipset/