V1 Motion Sensors for $12
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I was in Lowes today and stopped by the Iris display just ot see if anything new had popped up.

Sure enough it did. They had some V1 contact sensors and also motion sensors for sale alongside
the current V2 devices. The 1st Gen devices were marked at less than half the price of the current
devices.

The motion sensors were marked at $14.99. I've been wanting a couple more so I figured at that price
why not as the V1 sensors have always worked well for me. When I got to the self-checkout register and
started scanning my items the motion sensors rang up at $12.74 each. That was unexpected as the price
tag on the shelf had the $14.99 price.

Anyway, if you're looking you might want to check out your local Lowes and see if they have any of the
V1 contact switches or motion sensors.

Oh, I forgot to mention. These may or may not be new, but first time I have seen them on display at my Lowes.

There is now a GE in-wall receptacle that works with Iris AND also from your phone directly (maybe using Wi-Fi).

It's in a red box not green like the other GE in-wall receptacles. The price was $45 which is a little more than the others.

They only had two on the shelf and I thought about getting one to try it out but didn't. I though I would poll the group and see if anyone had used them yet. Given my history with GE devices I'm hesitant to jump in but it looked intriguing as it also has power monitoring, something that is missing from previous GE devices.

12 hours ago, sparc said:

The motion sensors were marked at $14.99. I've been wanting a couple more so I figured at that price
why not as the V1 sensors have always worked well for me. When I got to the self-checkout register and
started scanning my items the motion sensors rang up at $12.74 each. That was unexpected as the price
tag on the shelf had the $14.99 price.

This 15% discount promotion runs through January 17th and applies to several other Iris products as well. 

47 minutes ago, sparc said:

Oh, I forgot to mention. These may or may not be new, but first time I have seen them on display at my Lowes.

There is now a GE in-wall receptacle that works with Iris AND also from your phone directly (maybe using Wi-Fi).

It's in a red box not green like the other GE in-wall receptacles. The price was $45 which is a little more than the others.

They only had two on the shelf and I thought about getting one to try it out but didn't. I though I would poll the group and see if anyone had used them yet. Given my history with GE devices I'm hesitant to jump in but it looked intriguing as it also has power monitoring, something that is missing from previous GE devices.

The GE products with the red stripe on the box are ZigBee where the ones with the green stripe are Z-Wave.

But these boxes said they had power monitoring, and I'm not sure but I don't think that was in the ZigBee outlets from GE in the past.

That's what caught my eye. There is also an in-wall light switch from GE with power monitoring. It too has the red label on the box.

The boxes were slightly different too. The 'old' packages have a hanging tab on them so they can be hung on the display wall, but these (what I am calling) new packages do not have that tab and are sitting on the shelf.

I will have to look closer next time I am there, and maybe get one of the receptacles and test it out. I have a spot where remote control and power monitoring would be helpful.

I set up a contact switch and a motion sensor on my duct to monitor the fan run time and supply and return air temperatures. The contact switch is firmly mounted next to a register in the basement that is in the side of the truck line. I made a top-hinged flap as someone on here (sorry, don't remember who came up with this idea) had done and attached the magnet to the flap. A little trial and error get it working in a couple minutes. Only problem was the register is metal and the magnet had enough power to prevent the air flow from pushing it open, so I extended the flap below the bottom of the grill and then it worked fine. Now I can see when the fan is running and also the discharge temp as the flap directs the air flow toward the contact switch. Not that accurate I know but I will know if it's not warmer than the return air so that would tell me something happened with the heat pump or the backup heat source (oil-fired boiler).

The motion sensor I used as a return air temperature sensor. Didn't have another contact switch and with the motion detection I can tell if aliens are trying to sneak into my house through the ductwork. :D

The GE Zigbee devices report energy. I use one on my air handler to let me know when the ac has turned on or off since we no longer have whole house energy monitoring.  But I can't really complain as we do have the Santa tracker. Can't wait a year to use it again.

Well if I had known the ZigBee outlets had energy monitoring I would have gone for them long ago. But I would have had to order them because this is the first time they have been available in the store, always an order online for me which I certainly could have done and would have if I had realized they had energy monitoring.

So maybe I will go pick up those two that they have on the shelf and give them a try. I could use more if they work out. I have always had better reliability with ZigBee than Z-Wave here for some reason.

On 1/12/2018 at 7:41 PM, sparc said:

I was in Lowes today and stopped by the Iris display just ot see if anything new had popped up.

Sure enough it did. They had some V1 contact sensors and also motion sensors for sale alongside
the current V2 devices. The 1st Gen devices were marked at less than half the price of the current
devices.

Thanks for the tip. I got one for the same price. I wonder why these are getting put out now? They are clearly old stock -- the package has the old logo/1st gen hub pictured, and the battery was dated 7/13.