Is something going today 1/28?

24 posts in this topic

Today I thought some of my devices dropped off the network after moving some things around in my entertainment center. I tried all sorts of fixes to get the zwave devices back but what finally worked was cycling each switch. I checked my device list and all the devices were connected. Then about 30 minutes later a bunch of zigbee devices went offline. Again I can't get them back and opening and closing doors and windows did nothing. But just now I saw the history said my wife just came home but the fob has been here all day. It also has a bunch of other nonsense being listed. Anyone else seeing this?

Well I thought I got everything back to normal then my wife told me the alarm was all wonky when she came home. After opening the door the keypad started to beep and she pressed  the home button on the fob to disarm the system. The light turned on like it should but the keypad kept beeping. I can see she pressed the fob two more times but it kept beeping. So when went to the pad and noticed it said off yet it was beeping. After entering the code the beeping stopped. Not sure what the hell is going on but I haven't seen instability like this for a long time. I hope it fixes itself but I am not holding my breath.

I'm not having any problems so this appears to be an isolated issue with your system.  When you were moving things around your wifi router didn't happen to change channels did it?  You'll want to stay away from the upper end of the 2.4Gig spectrum (specifically channel 11) as this may cause interference with your ZigBee devices.  I would recommend finding a clear channel somewhere between 1 and 9.

No router changes. I added an external DVD drive for my laptop since it is mounted in a way that doesn't allow me to load discs. I also added a couple of fans to keep the temps down. 

So far things have smoothed out...just hoping this was isolated.

I guess I spoke to soon. I was sitting by the hub and all of a sudden the alarm is arming. So I check history and it says the key fob departed even though no one left. Then it ran the I'm home scene. I checked the device list and about a half dozen devices were off line. WTF?

If this keeps up I may just bite the bullet and switch to ST. I am envious of my buddies setup. So many more options than we have.

I received an email on one of my two accounts that an update was coming.  I think the email was yesterday around noon.  I know I have some wierdness around the time of updates.

12 hours ago, Wlepse said:

I guess I spoke to soon. I was sitting by the hub and all of a sudden the alarm is arming. So I check history and it says the key fob departed even though no one left. Then it ran the I'm home scene. I checked the device list and about a half dozen devices were off line. WTF?

If this keeps up I may just bite the bullet and switch to ST. I am envious of my buddies setup. So many more options than we have.

Not to say there aren't advantages (and disadvantages) to ST but they have more than their fare share of issues as well..

image.thumb.png.7c622341d2a7c1016116558b340f958e.png

I got a message earlier today that my hub went offline.  When I got home some  schedules seemed to be working and some rules not, and the mobile app would not open.  I powered down hub and restarted.  I got a message that my Hub was back online, but the mobile app(IOS) will not open.  Just sits at opening screen with a spinning wheel.  I can still change things with the web page but nothing in the mobile app.

I am about to pull the plug on this thing. Less than half of my devices are connected tonight. And again the alarm system armed saying my wife left but the keys are still here. Ironically the key fob is one of the few devices that shows as being connected. Getting very fed up, this is actually the worst stability I have seen. Far worse than the gen 2 fiasco.

My system was working I just could not open my mobile app on my phone.  I only did it on my phone.  My wife has it installed on her phone but she didn't mention it wasn't working.  Although she probably never opens it anyway.

I don't  know what to say. As of right now only 4 devices are offline, all gen1 window switches. 2 of the ones offline are in a bank of 4 so I don't think it is range or interference. But since this started after adding that cooling fan and DVD drive I will try yanking that this weekend to see if things stabilize. I did notice this morning the app forced me to sign in again which I thought was strange. Very weird...this system has been stable for about a year now. Sucks that I can't trust it right now.

cables are all good but I think something might be up with the hub. Last night just after 7 it started to do the same BS with the keyfob coming and going. When I checked a bunch of devices had just dropped off. By morning most of this was gone. But this seems to happen at the same time of day...might be a coincidence but it is weird.

Wow...what a waste of time. I just spent what seemed like an eternity on the phone with tech support and things are no better. Their only answer is to remove the devices that are not connected and repair them. I don't believe this is a pairing issue since we haven't added, changed or moved an sensors for  months and everything was super stable up until last weekend. Also don't believe it is a pairing issue since when I started talking to him only 1 of 16 door/windows switches were connected, after some time most came back and only 6 were offline. If the devices weren't paired they wouldn't have reconnected. Now after another reboot I only have 4 offline.

Any other suggestions on troubleshooting? I don't want to bother with repairing, even though it is only a few devices right now since at one point since this weekend I think every device has been offline at some point. I did check my routers 2.4GHz channel and it is 1, so there shouldn't be interference there. Also for giggles I disconnected the DVD drive and shut off the fan. That made no change. While the fan is still mounted; it is only between the hub and one device that is offline. The others are clear with no new obstructions.

If this doesn't stabilize I will likely switch to ST. I know it has some issues too but I have a few buddies running it and they are way happier than they were with Wink or Iris. I just have to have this alarm system working, there has been a rash of cars getting broken into and some burglaries. 

Ugh...in the time it took me to write this all 16 door/window sensors are back online. WTF? I really wish the good web portal was working so I could check signal strength and battery levels. wondering if some batteries are getting low so range is reduced slightly. Not sure that makes sense since they come and go in waves. I don't know...I am tired and frustrated.

So last night I ended up pulling the new external DVD drive and turned off the cooling fans. I also plugged a gen 1 plug in between the hub and some of the more troublesome sensors. So far it has been solid with the only devices offline are ones I only use in the summer. Hope it stays like this. If so I am really glad I didn't start repairing everything. I guess the real test will be tonight, it was messing up more frequently after 7.

System was stable all day yesterday and through the night. No getting awakened by the alarm arming. All devices were still online so I decided to turn the fan in and see if that has any effect. If everything is stable then I will reinstall that DVD drive. If I figure it out I will post what I found.

Didn't hook up the DVD yet but so far no dropped devices with the fan on. Only oddity was the keypad didn't beep when the alarm was about to go off but did beep later that night when it armed.

Well, it has been about a week since I removed the DVD drive but have had the fan running in that time with no dropped devices. I was going to reconnect the drive, but I so rarely use it I decided against it. If for some reason it is causing interference I don't want to deal with the instability for a day or so while it tries to recover. So while not conclusive...if anyone is having some funky connection issues look to see if you have an external DVD drive nearby. 

10 hours ago, Wlepse said:

If for some reason it is causing interference I don't want to deal with the instability for a day or so while it tries to recover. So while not conclusive...

Do it in the name of science!  :)

If anything, if the devices drop off, perform a 2-second hub reset and that should generally speed up the repair process for most/all your devices.