Contact sensors falling off
1 1

22 posts in this topic

Anyone else having contact sensors go in the weeds? I have had three crap out this week, two I have had to re-pair and one just a battery pull fixed it. My keypad is sucking batteries all of a sudden also. I would send an attachment but it says max size 0.02MB. 

So I discovered the issue with most of my zigbee devices being offline was being caused by power issues.  About half of the devices off line were reporting a battery level of 77% (according to @thegillion's web portal).  I replaced the batteries in the devices reporting low battery levels and power cycled everything else that was offline. 

I don't think this anything they are doing on the backend.  However, I did find it was odd that this only affected V1 devices.  I guess this proves there is a significant difference between the zigbee protocol versions being used in V1 vs V2 devices.

I think they must be doing something or rolling something out. Mine started with zwave devices dropping off. Once I got that back zigbee stuff was constantly dropping off. I think it was ok most of the day but between 6-9pm it would constantly think my wife (keyfob) was coming and going so alarm was arming/disarming and lights were going on and off. They wanted me to repair all the affected devices but that would have been every thing. Most of my devices are gen 1 but I saw the same behavior on gen 2 devices and things like leaksmart sensors so mine wasn't isolated. Hope yours settles out soon...it is a real PITA when it gets glitchy. Reminded me of the premature switch to gen 2.

I had two more contact sensors drop off this weekend, both of them I had to force remove and re-pair them.  This is getting old, quick, makes me wonder what is going out next.  Z-Wave has been fine, all mine has been battery operated zigbee devices, and the batteries are fine with the exception of the keypad chewing two sets of batteries.

Try a Zigbee network rebuild to fix this. Power down the hub for 15 minutes with no batteries installed. This will cause Zigbee devices to go into a panic mode and start searching for their coordinator (hub). After 15 minutes power the hub back up and wait a couple hours. This will force all routing devices to rebuild their routing tables and hopefully reconnect most of the most devices. 

I will do the rebuild here in a few. The last time I posted about them being offline was the last time they were. It was acting like the hub just forgot its pairing info, when I removed the battery the contact sensor acted like it wasn’t paired before. All has been good since last Sunday when I fixed the one in my mailbox. 

The battery is reading 2.9 volts. I pulled the battery and it didn’t fix it. I put a battery in that read 3.0 volts and it lit back up. No way 0.1 made a difference, but it is back online now. They are all on the back of the house except the mailbox, interesting for sure. Guess I will wait to see which one is going next. 

On 3/3/2018 at 4:26 PM, accessdenied79 said:

The battery is reading 2.9 volts. I pulled the battery and it didn’t fix it. I put a battery in that read 3.0 volts and it lit back up. No way 0.1 made a difference, but it is back online now. They are all on the back of the house except the mailbox, interesting for sure. Guess I will wait to see which one is going next. 

Just the other day I had a V1 contact sensor fall off the network without a low batt. warning - it had a Duracell CR2.  I pulled it out and my DMM read 2.8V.  I then re-measured it with the battery installed within the sensor.  DMM then read 1.8V...  It's funny though because some batteries behave this way and some don't, even with the same brands, and the V will droop enough to cause the sensor to give a low batt. warning so always try to measure it with the batteries installed in the sensor if at all possible.

Another contact dropped off tonight and it may be, at most, two months old ?‍♂️. Haven’t checked it yet so not sure why, but add another one to the list. The keypad I just left dead, can’t afford batteries for that thing every two weeks.

Update: just checked it, not a bad battery but I had to remove the battery and put the hub in pairing mode to get it to quit blinking blue after pulling the battery. It didn’t find it as a new device, just acted like it re-associated to the hub. Also the rules associated with it aren’t working so I guess this will be another removal and re-pair on ANOTHER contact sensor.