Well ring is out
1 1

24 posts in this topic

It seemed ok at first and I even payed for a year of storage.  I will not pay for another.  My Ring Pro is on the front door which is only about 15 feet from my main WiFi access point, it is also hardwired to my doorbell power.  According to the app it has good WiFi signal.   Also I have pretty good internet it usually stays around 10MB upload. Most of the time the video is jerky.  An object will freeze and then jump off screen.   I have three Arlo cameras and they will occasionally get glitches, but not very often.  In fact I have a rule setup in ST that has two of the three cameras start recording when the garage door is opened and the video is always pretty good. 

They also made some change about 6 months ago and now motion detection at night is basically non-existent.  You have to stand almost right in front of my door before it will capture anything.  A few weeks ago four deer walked through the front yard, about 20 feet in front of my front door.  I have an Arlo camera at the front corner that captured it but nothing on the Ring.  The next morning two kids walked on the side walk about another 10 feet further away than the deer and the ring captured that.no problem.  Motion capture is pretty good during the day.  When I first got it it seemed to be pretty good at night as well. 

The app is pretty crappy as well.  They have no thumbnail view so you have to open each video to see what triggered it..  The videos are shown in a scroll-able line.  So if you have three weeks of videos and you wanted to go back two weeks to look at something you must scroll down one by one to find it.  There is no calendar view   No local storage option.  You can download the videos but you would have to download one at a time.

So I am watching and hoping something better comes along, 

I originally had the Ring Video Doorbell and had issues with it when the temperature dropped below freezing because the battery would get low, even though it was hardwired.  A few years ago I switched to the Ring Video Doorbell Pro and it has been working great except as Terminal said the night motion detection got terribly unreliable with a firmware update months ago.  Other than that I have never had the pro drop off my wireless and have only seen the black screen unable to connect to the camera once or twice.

I like the LTS features.  Especially the 128GB on board storage.  The ring does integrate with my ST system so the motion detection tuns on my front porch light, but I can just use my Arlo camera to take over that function  I also have a Ring chime extender, which the LTS doesn't seem to have.   I could work around that as well.  I will wait a bit and see what Amazon does with Ring, at least until my current plan runs out this summer.

That chart also shows that Ring does not work with the existing doorbell (chime) and special installation is required which is not correct.  They work fine with the existing chime and no special installation is required.

5 hours ago, Otto Mation said:

That chart also shows that Ring does not work with the existing doorbell (chime) and special installation is required which is not correct.  They work fine with the existing chime and no special installation is required.

Yeah I noticed that as well, but I figured they were referring to what Vet showed, you have to install that extra module on your existing doorbell.   At least I did with the Pro.

It wouldn't surprise me if Amazon purchased Ring only for recognition of brand dominance. If they had planned on creating their own product, it would be hard to compete with ring which already has a major foothold in that corner of the market. By leveraging the ring "brand" in conjunction with the amazon "brand", they can release any new doorbell product they had in the works using the "amazon ring" brand and give these products an instant boost. It's also a quick and easy way to get around any patent issues they may have been facing. Not to mention they likely on-boarded some new talent from Ring's development staff.  I bet all the old ring products become "legacy devices" pretty quickly.

I have a Ring Pro and it’s flawless. Motion detection is spot on and I once my kids bus arrives I get a motion alert. This is useful at work. I watch walk/run home and make sure they look both ways when crossing.

i have had it for about a year now with zero issues unless power/Internet goes down. My wi-if is 20 feet from doorbell, but I go an extender which didn’t really make any difference. I use it to use Rings chimes and motion alerts instead of door chimes.

it works flawless at night and when night walkers walk in front of house on grass, I get motion consistently. I’m curious about their alarm system.  Obviously, we don’t know anything of it in action yet.

2 hours ago, Joe-Senior said:

it works flawless at night and when night walkers walk in front of house on grass, I get motion consistently. I’m curious about their alarm system.  Obviously, we don’t know anything of it in action yet.

Quick question... can you actually make out faces of the "night walkers" as they walk in front of your house?

My front yard is pretty deep so I can see people there and with a wide range.” So from the distance from my doorbell to past my mailbox is about 25 yards...no. I can’t make out their faces. But once they get on my property where they can remotely get close of any harm or vandalism, I absolutely can see their faces. If they get 8-10 yards from the top of my porch or house I can make out peoples faces for sure. 

Next time I find a volunteer who doesn’t mind being posted on a forum, I will test it. 

Obviously, you may have had some issues with Ring just like I had with Iris. But from my experience, Ring has helped me and my family out a lot and is spot on. You can adjust motion sensitivity and we even had to adjust the sensitivity to people only because it was going off on cars passing by. It is very accurate doing so. I guess people have issues with it and some don’t. I had a boatload of issues with Iris within the first 7 days that would fullfill a life time on any system. It has progressively gotten better, but I would it’s not say it’s fully there yet. Right now I’m testing my Schlage lock and it has some hit and misses, but instead of being frustrated like I was the first week of testing Iris, it’s more of like “I expect the hiccups”. Some people had no problems using Iris and is perfect for them. That’s how Ring Pro is for me. No issues. None in the first year. I am really looking forward to their alarm system as well. I’m loyal to NO system. I’m more of a type that if it works as it’s supposed to and how my family needs it to work and be a part of their lives, then that’s the system to get. 

1 hour ago, Joe-Senior said:

Obviously, you may have had some issues with Ring just like I had with Iris. 

I don't think so, I have never owned any type of ring device.  I just know there are a lot better options available for less money.

Maybe so. It comes down to personal preference and what you feel comfortable with. I can say the same about Iris based on reviews and specs and call it a day, but didn’t want to knock until I at least tried it.