Well it was fun
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Well after much thought and frustrations, I have opted to jump ship and move over to Smartthings. I know I haven't been very active on here, mainly due to the constant problem I was having with logging in, so I won't be missed too much LOL. The process to switch over was rather painless. The few items that always gave me a 2 hour headache repeating the same process on the phone with Iris TS, they were always helpful and polite, only took a matter of 10 minutes to get my stubborn devices to pair. I'm guessing that there must be a software issue that causes the issues. Just about everything transferred only items I have to purchase are the smoke detectors, CO detectors and sensors. I do plan on getting the Arlo Pro 2 camera system in the near future to add to it. Hopefully everything continues to go smoothly or with little hiccups. 

I have seriously thought about doing this myself, especially when my system went to crap a few weeks back. But what always has me giving the system the benefit of the doubt is the multitude of Gen 1 devices I have. So long as Iris works I just can't justify buying several hundred worth of just door/window sensors to get basic alarm functionality back. But I do know a few people that are on ST and are super happy, one has a highly customized system which is really nice. The only caution I have is to really look at reviews for devices. He has purchased a ton of things that say they are ST compatible but are just garbage. Random alarms, drops etc. 

I'm in the same boat. I've recently installed HomeAssistant on Raspberry Pi and picked up a few Z-wave devices to play around with. I like it so far. I really like the flexibility of creating your own rules. It'll be a while before I move everything over and get rid of Iris. I think getting rid of the cloud and having a wider range of supported products is nice. I should be able to add the Zigbee devices as I go after I get a Zigbee controller stick.

Iris has been rock solid for me for at least 18 months now and it'll be tough to convince the wife to get rid of it.

16 hours ago, Joe-Senior said:

If you have a prewired Alarm home and a SmartThings Hub, check out https://konnected.io/

That's sweet.

What would have made it even more awesome is if you can continue using your old panel (with existing alarm keypads, sirens, wireless sensors) and just have the module be a message-passer between the existing panel and SmartThings.  Like this Envisalink module - it interprets all the bus data from the panel and sends it to the EyezOn site to notify users of zone openings/alarms/troubles...etc via text/e-mail.