UPS backup referal
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Would anyone know a good UPS to use that is cost effective with the Iris since the internal batteries won’t power the 4g modem? I thought I had a good deal with equipment with the Iris, but with another $100 for the modem and I’m assuming $100 for a UPS, there are other security systems that had its internal batteries power their cellular connection, Scout, Abode, Ring (in the spring). Anyone’s help would be appreciated. 

Thanks

I have had good luck with apc units. I am not sure how much power the hub and modem use but I would imagine an average size unit would keep you up for a while. How long were you hoping to be backed up?

I use APC units of various sizes and have for years on everything. The only thing I will look for next time I buy one is a UPS that will let you turn off the alarm when the power fails so you don't have to listen to the darn bleeping for 3 days non-stop.

I use a separate UPS for my alarm system and another to backup the video system plus a third for the network and cable modem. They are all co-located on a rack with all the LAN, video, alarm and HA equipment. When the power goes out and all three get to singing it will drive you nuts. And that doesn't even take into account the two units for computers and another for the TV, Tivo box, and audio equipment, but those I can shut off if I'm home. All the critical stuff is in the basement so it's not too loud but you still hear it.

I like the units with power conditioning built in so that excess voltage (spikes), brown outs (sags), and frequency fluctuations are controlled/isolated from the equipment by the UPS. In a way you are running off the UPS 24/7 and the UPS is being powered off the mains. You get filtered, steady power output. Cost a bit more but not that much.

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 2:10 PM, Joe-Senior said:

2-3 days is usually how much power we lose during a storm. So I was thinking 3 days max since  Iris updated the 4G LTE modem monthly uses from 3 days to 7 days. Thanks for your reply.

Umm, they don't last that long.  Only a few hours at most (even with nothing connected).

You need an outdoor gas/diesel/whatever they use generator.