How does IRIS handle alarm triggers
2 2

5 posts in this topic

I know that when I come home the IRIS keypad and hub start to beep and I have a preset amount of time to enter the code. My question is where does this countdown take place?

If it takes place locally then an intruder who is familiar with IRIS can quickly disable the hub and I would never receive an alert on my phone. If it takes place "in the cloud" then even if a smart thief disabled the hub I would still get an alert on my phone because "the cloud" would never receive the proper code.

Hm...this one was interesting...kudos to IRIS for the implementation for this one. 

I just tested this - with the hub plugged into the internet and backup batteries removed the alarm was armed and I waited until the pre-arm period was over.  I then tripped a sensor to start the countdown, and during this countdown I removed power from the hub (I gave it about 5 seconds before removing power).  About a minute later, my app notification and e-mails tell me that my alarm had been tripped, with the specific sensor that initially tripped the alarm.  In the app, it indicates the alarm has been tripped, but the hub could not be reached to notify me but the "cloud" was in the alarm state.

My hub is "local processing" enabled (per Gillion's site).

Very cool.

So I have to ask, does this really matter?  With a grace period of 15 seconds I doubt an intruder has time to "quickly disable the hub" even if they are familar with Iris.  They have to find where I have hidden it first and that's going to take a hell of a lot longer than 15 seconds. 

It does matter to me because I have a 45 second grace period. The keypad to arm and disarm the alarm is in the laundry room which has a door leading to the garage. We park the "family" car in the garage. This location makes it easy for my wife to arm and disarm the alarm. I on the other hand I park my truck on the driveway. I enter the house through the front door and it is not unusual for me to be carrying in items which have to be put somewhere before I can make the trek to the laundry to disarm the alarm. My wife also sometimes enters the house with items that have to set down somewhere before the alarm can be disarmed. Bottom line 15 seconds is not enough for us. 

I do wish that IRIS had a way to disable the beeping of the hub during the grace period. Would make it harder for a thief to find it.

Bottom line for me it is nice to know that the trigger event is stored in the cloud and the notification is sent if it never receives the proper code.

On 3/8/2018 at 9:40 PM, GaryS1964 said:

I enter the house through the front door and it is not unusual for me to be carrying in items which have to be put somewhere before I can make the trek to the laundry to disarm the alarm. My wife also sometimes enters the house with items that have to set down somewhere before the alarm can be disarmed. Bottom line 15 seconds is not enough for us. 

If you add a smart lock and a few key fobs to automate presence, you'll find that you will hardly ever use your keypad for anything.  I have 4 keypads and I honestly can't remember the last time I used any of them.