For those with kids
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Currently my home alarm system is through Iris and my fire alarm system is hardwired. Recently we had a water leak and my son woke up and thought someone was breaking in so he was hiding. We have done fire drills and he knows the difference between the alarms but that is when he is fully awake. I am not sure if he wakes up he is fully aware and alert enough to tell the difference. So I am wondering if anyone has done something to better differentiate the alarms. I was thinking of adding a smart outlet in his room and have the light flash when it is a house alarm and do nothing for fire. This way there would be a visual indication as well. Any other thoughts or suggestions? Is it possible to strobe a light on alarm or can you only enable a light?

I believe you can only turn the light on or off, not flash it.  That feature has been requested by several users on the official forum, so maybe search it over there and Kudo the post.

I use something I found through Grainger.  It's a strobe bulb that screws into a regular light socket.  I mounted a cheap jar light on a wall, added a tool cord for power and plugged it into an Iris smart plug.  The plug gets activated when someone pushes one of two smart buttons.  You could probably do something similar with a floor or reading lamp in his room.

But, it was like $80 for the bulb. :(

I do something similar but use a wall outlet to energize a 12 volt power supply that sounds an outdoor siren.   Alarm triggered turns the outlet on and alarm turned off turns the outlet off. There's a post about it here somewhere.