Hub Replacement Automation

5 posts in this topic

With Gen2 Hubs now getting older, units are going to begin failing and needing replacement.  With all the control logic in the cloud, there is NO REASON why one has to repair every existing device with a replacement hub.  You have all the information already......use it to automate hub replacement. 

I was carrying mine around tonight to pair a new switch. I almost dropped it and could just see days of rebuilding ahead.  There seems no reason why they couldn't flash the system data to a new hub.

My guess...and it's only a guess...is that the devices wouldn't see the new hub as their existing pairing mate. In other words, the devices would be looking for a hub and they wouldn't know the difference between your new hub and a neighbor's hub.

The new hub would have a different MAC address on the wireless interface, or whatever they use in these protocols. Of course they could get around that by cloning the address of your old hub into the new.

The thing is, they developed a tool for upgrading from V1 hub to V2 hub without having to unpair or repair any devices.  I upgraded manually, so I don't know how well it worked.  So it's possible and they have obviously spent time in the area, just seems like it dropped off the radar.