Iris Hub Bandwidth Usage Change
2 2

11 posts in this topic

Hmmm... maybe, but if this were the case you would think they would be all over communicating this advancement.  On the other hand I forgot who we're dealing with, they have never been very good at communicating things in the past.

Yep, my google wifi points have been pretty accurate for reporting throughput by device.  Not sure what was happening on the backend from March 14th to the 20th, but from my previous graph it's obvious they were pulling down a lot more data than normal during this time period.

With 165 devices on my system this is what an average day looks like now.

IMG_2152.JPG

Yep, my google wifi points have been pretty accurate for reporting throughput by device.  Not sure what was happening on the backend from March 14th to the 20th, but from my previous graph it's obvious they were pulling down a lot more data than normal during this time period.
With 165 devices on my system this is what an average day looks like now.
IMG_2152.thumb.JPG.bb623518ff38a5a236ac3ea4ff78fa4a.JPG

Vettester, I also have Google Wifi. How are you seeing Iris Hub traffic? Is your hub directly or indirectly hardwired to your main node?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a network switch connected to my primary wifi point and my Iris hub is is connected to the switch along with my cable modem and multiple IP cameras.  To see usage go into the Google WiFi app and click on devices from the main screen.  Then from the devices page you can select the device you want.  Once you've selected the device you have a usage tab and a details tab.  Your usage defaults to real-time, but if you touch on where it says real-time you have the option of choosing between real-time, 1 day, 7 days, 30 days or 60 days.

OMG... Tens of GBs of data, are we serious?

I’m planning to use IRIS at a vacation place which does not have broadband internet, so I plan to use a mobile internet router.  I want to get SIM card with a minimal data allowance sufficient to run the hub, so I need to know IRIS data requirements:

-         How much data does the hub transmit while sitting idle (I assumed it should be very small...)

-         How large each firmware update is, and how often it gets pushed

Do I really need an unlimited SIM data just to run IRIS?   I find that hard to believe.  

How much data a hub transmits is dependent on various factors including the number and type of devices along with the number of rules and scenes being utilized.  I have 180+ devices on my system which includes 8 Iris cameras along with 116 rules and 17 scenes.  On average my hub transmits 166 MB /day and downloads 55 MB /day.  An Iris camera transmits 5-6 MB a day while sitting idle.  I'm using the free plan so I am not downloading video via Iris, but I can see that data is still being uploaded.

As far as the size of firmware updates and how often they are pushed I don't know, but I'm sure these vary as well.

I also got a good estimate at the official IRIS forum.  What's interesting is that your large number of devices really push the numbers up a lot.  

I forgot to clarify I wasn't considering cameras in my question.  But 5-6MB per day is not bad for a camera. What do yo mean by idle?  5-6MB without recording any videos at all?

I saw your other post and I'm not sure how you came up with a good estimate from Mike's response.  Anyway, by idle I mean I'm not using Iris to record the feed from any of my Iris cameras.  I use a third party app for video surveillance that is much better than Iris.  The only thing I'm using the cameras for within Iris is for motion detection to control other devices.