V2 plugs and Z-Wave

10 posts in this topic

So I'm in the early stages of automating my home. I have the V2 hub, 3 v1 contact switches 1 V2 motion sensor, 2 smart plugs, the First Alert Smoke detector and 2 GE Wall switches, only one of which is currently installed

MY problem is the GE wall switch (14292) keeps disconnecting and when I went to look at the map it shows it, my smoke dector and the 2 plugs, the hub though is only connected to the smoke detector and nothing else, mind you the detector is in the same hall as the switch. Can anyone give me some guidance to get the switch to stay online and the plugs to connect as repeaters. Update: the Switch is in a metal 2 gang box but the front is line of sight to the smoke detector. 

Here is the map

001 is the hub 002 Detector 003 and 004 plugs and 005 the switch

zwave-map (4).png

There are some post I did about the V2 plugs but basically what you have to do is unpair them, press the power button on them as you are plugging them in and let go when the blue light comes on. Make sure they are no more than 10 feet from the hub and re-pair them to the hub and let them sit 10 minutes to settle in. Move them where you want them after this time and they should repeat Z-Wave just fine. They said if you pair them away, they will pair zigbee but won’t repeat. I had to do all the ones at my dads when he was having issues with stuff repeating, support said I had to do the steps above on every V2 plug.

2 hours ago, Vellian said:

Update: the Switch is in a metal 2 gang box but the front is line of sight to the smoke detector. 

Also keep in mind that battery operated devices do not act as repeaters.

1 hour ago, Vettester said:

Also keep in mind that battery operated devices do not act as repeaters.

Thanks i did not realize that. I will move my one smart plug to the same hallway and see if that helps

So I reset one of my V2 switches and placed it narly across from the wall switch and this is my map again, amd I reading this wrong or is it still only connected to my Smoke detector

zwave-map.png

1 hour ago, Vellian said:

So I reset one of my V2 switches and placed it narly across from the wall switch and this is my map again, amd I reading this wrong or is it still only connected to my Smoke detector

Is everything showing as being online within the app?  If so, I wouldn't be concerned with what you're seeing on the map.  These maps have always been a little difficult to read.  Mine looks like an etch-a-sketch gone wild.   :wacko:

zwave-map2.png

Its all online in the app, the wall switch doesnt like to work with the app, but i figure as I build a more robust Z-wave network it may do better, any advice on products to help beef up my z-wave network?

Smart plugs and wall switches are always good devices to strengthen a z-wave network.  However, you mentioned you have metal gang boxes which more than likely will be a problem.  Metal boxes are known to cause connectivity issues with z-wave wall switches.  

First floor is all metal Gang boxes and plaster walls. I gutted and redid the second floor so its all plastic but since that was last year im not in a hurry to replace the dimmers I put in. I might just keep doing all the switches on the first floor then as I renovate replace the metal with plastic since I need to rewire much of it anyways.