Connected Bulb Experience

8 posts in this topic

I have never had need for a connected bulb but have recently come up with a reason to get a couple.  I know that things were rocky early on with respect to connected bulbs.  I think that Iris is much more stable now.  If you use connected bulbs could you please state which ones you are using and whether of not they have been stable?

Thanks

Otto: I have 3 different types of Sylvania smart bulbs on Iris. One of them is the dimmable bulb you posted. I had initial trouble with several of the Osram bulbs. However, they've all been completely stable for the past 5 months. I recommend getting the Osram Lightify hub (eBay - $17) and updating the bulbs through it. Once I did that, I had stable bulbs that did what Iris told them to do.

Here's a string that might be helpful:

Phillips Hue works great with Iris. Set up Hue with hub, bulbs and remotes. Link accounts and use Iris for everything schedule related. I use Alexa to set colors and brightness. I was using Wink for all of my bulbs prior to purchasing a Hue hub.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They initially had issues with old firmware, turning on by themselves, disconnecting, etc.  When they did the latest update on the bulb firmware (had to get a lightify hub for this) they have all been perfect since then, this was a long time ago.

Firmware is:1020492

Thanks for all the replies.  Here is what I decided to do and why.  I went with Philips Hue.  I needed two connected bulbs because I had three outdoor fixtures on my driveway.  I wanted to replace one of them with a Ring Floodlight Camera which needs the power on all the time.  I did not want the other two lights on 24/7 so I decided that connected bulbs would solve the dilemma.  If the switch to the lights accidentally got turned off, I did not want it to affect the rest of my Iris system because the bulbs are repeating devices and contribute to the Zigbee network mesh.  With Philips Hue, you pair their hub to Iris which has its own Zigbee network and you can change the channel so that it does not interfere with, and is isolated from the Iris Zigbee network.  Otherwise you can control the bulbs in Iris just like you can any other connected device.  Since it is also connected to the Philips Hue app, my firmware stays up to date.