help with a garage door opener

5 posts in this topic

I bought a new house with a REALLY old garage door opener. It's one of those "they don't make 'em like they used to" kind of machines that I don't want to replace, but I do want to make it smart. I'm looking at the garage controller (https://www.irisbylowes.com/products/iris-garage-door-controller/) but it doesn't come with the remotes and keypad. My question is, does this device just piggyback into the same ports on the opener that a generic remote controller would do give a second point of control? Is there a better Iris-compatible garage door controller out there that i should be looking at?

That controller just connects to the two terminals where your wall button would be connected, you can also purchase a keypad that will connect to those terminals as well.

Like Terk said, it plugs into the two existing ports on the garage door opener and to your question piggy backs off the current wiring.  You won't lose any current functionality by installing this.

I'm a little late to this party but I tried the Iris garage door controller and it could not communicate with the hub. The signal from the hub was two weak. I took it back to Lowe's and got a Chamberlain controller that works over WiFi. I have a strong WiFi signal in my garage and it works great.