Sad news for Halo Labs
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I just received this:

It's so hard to say goodbye.

Dear Halo customers, 

It is with our sincere apologies that we must let you know that Halo Smart Labs is closing its doors. You may have noticed a lack of available product and support responses, and we apologize for taking so long to let you know what is going on. While we are proud to have created a best in class product, it takes more than a great product to make a great business. Despite the best efforts of our team, ultimately the resources required to continue making and supporting Halo products were beyond our reach.

Over the next couple of weeks, direct support for Halo devices using the Halo app will be disconnected, leaving them unable to connect to the internet and deliver messages including hazard notifications and emergency contact ability. Our recommendation for those customers who wish to retain these features is to connect the Halo smoke alarms to a hub produced by either Iris by Lowe’s or SmartThings. These connected home systems intend to continue to provide connectivity and support for Halo devices and offer some additional benefits beyond the previous Halo app. 

We at Halo recognize that your support of our products was no small investment, and we truly wish we could have found a way to provide a better outcome for your experience. Thank you for including us in your search for ways to make your home smarter and safer, and for letting us be a part of your lives.

-Ben Stagg
Co-Founder 
Halo Smart Labs

I got same email today. I have 3 Halo Plus and 4 Nests...I always thought the Halos were cheap made in comparison to Nest. I only liked the NOAA weather radio feature of Halo...The Halo light was useless and cheesy....I love the nightlight feature of Nest though.

I hate they are closing but it doesn't surprise me.

mojo2600

It concerns me. IIRC, the Halo shop was just a stone's throw up the road from Lowe's NC HQ, and Halo/Iris compatibility was a touted feature. That Halo couldn't make a go of it even with a significant Lowe's Iris tie-in says something about Lowe's limited success in marketing any Iris-associated product.

As maybe another sign of weakness in the SH world, my OSRAM Lightify 74165 bulb has suddenly quit being accessible to Alexa (even though it is connected through Iris, not through the Lightify hub).  When I tell Alexa to turn it on, Alexa announces that: "Sorry, the device is no longer supported."

On 7/28/2018 at 3:37 AM, jeff909 said:

That's too bad.

If they will still function under the IRIS platform, I wonder if any will be available on clearance or if that would be a bad idea.

A few of the local Lowes in my area still have some and are selling them at full price.

A few of the local Lowes in my area still have some and are selling them at full price.

Do they still have them? I have a friend that had a new one go bad and he is stuck because the stores around here don’t have it that I have seen.

I've got 3 new units that I never installed. Had planned on installing them my house, but would have needed to HW them all and just didn't want to do it. If anyone is looking for some please DM me and we can discuss. 

I have one Halo detector on my second floor (the only floor with wired interconnected alarms) that I installed about 17 months ago.  Friday it beeped once, Sunday it beeped once, and this morning it beeped once.  Sunday I figured out which device it was as the beep is difficult to track down.  In the Iris console, it states, "Halo has an issue with its Smoke sensor."  The problem is that in console, you only see this if you go to the devices page.  There is nothing in the history, nothing in the 'home page' on the app or website, and no notifications.  A little scary for something as important as a smoke detector.  It's unfortunate as it was an easy way to get my second floor connected to Iris and keep it wired.  I guess I'm going back to a dumb wired detector.